![]() |
| Les and admirers |
Back then it was fashionable to adopt themes for each record, and today's first two items follow that rule.
For 1951's You're My Everything, the "theme" was that all eight songs began with "You're" - except for "You Are My Sunshine."
The following year, the idea was that all the numbers had to do with the weather - Musical Weather Vane is what the Coral folks called it.
All this started with Les' first LP for Coral, 1951's Over the Rainbow (A Panorama of Color), which has previously appeared here.
They must have run out of concepts by 1953, for the theme for that year's record was Le's Dance. Freed from the need to work to a stated theme, Les and his forces produced the best record of the bunch - possibly because it reflected their work at dances such as the one shown at top.
The other two records are quite satisfying as well, with fine arrangements, superb ensemble, and varied and at times witty solos.
By the way, my friend Dave Federman has produced several posts devoted to Les on his Substack site, Dave's Desk. These include vocals by the supreme Lucy Ann Polk - there isn't any singing on these LPs.
You're My Everything
The titles of the songs do suggest the vagaries of a love affair: "You're Driving Me Crazy," "You're the Cream in My Coffee," "You're a Sweetheart," "You're the Top," "You're Blasé" and "You're an Old Smoothie." The couple on the cover seem to be getting along fine, though.
The personnel for the band did not vary much over the next few years. The occasional soloists you hear on this LP likely include Don Paladino, trumpet, Ray Sims, trombone, Dave Pell, tenor sax, Tony Rizzi, guitar, and Geoff Clarkson, piano.
The arrangers for these records were Frank Comstock, Skip Martin and Wes Hensel. Comstock was the head arranger and did all the charts for this LP.
LINK to You're My Everything
Musical Weather Vane
For the Musical Weather Vane, the selections were "Clouds," "Heat Wave," "Rain," "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!", "Blue Skies," "Ill Wind,"
"Stormy Weather" and "Lost in a Fog."
I wasn't familiar with two of the songs, even though they have a nice pedigree. "Clouds" is a Gus Kahn-Walter Donaldson song first recorded by Connie Boswell in 1935.
"Lost in a Fog" is by Dorothy Fields and Jimmy McHugh. It was released by any number of artists in 1934, including Connie Boswell.
I've prepared a companion post for my other blog with Connie's recording of "Lost in a Fog" and the Ray Noble-Al Bowlly version of "Clouds."
The other song that may be unfamiliar to some is "Ill Wind," which Harold Arlen and Ted Koehler wrote for the Cotton Club Parade revue of 1934. The first recording of this tune was by Arlen himself, and can be found in a collection of his vocal discs on my other blog.
Wes Hensel was the arranger of "Heat Wave" and "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!". Frank Comstock was responsible for the others.
LINK to Musical Weather Vane
Le's Dance
I said that Brown ditched the theme album idea for a dance album in 1953, but that's not entirely true. The implicit theme in this case - it's not stated on the cover - is the songs were all associated with other bandleaders.
Here's the information missing from the cover:
"Flying Home" was written by Lionel Hampton and Benny Goodman for the Goodman Sextet in 1939. The most famous version, however, may be the one with Hamp's own big band in 1942, with a blazing solo by Illinois Jacquet on tenor sax. Both versions can be found on my other blog. For Les' rendition, Wes Hensel and Skip Martin handled the charts.
Another item from Benny's band is "Lullaby in Rhythm" by Benny, Clarence Profit, Edgar Sampson and Walter Hirsch. The latter was a lyricist; there also were and are vocal versions of the song. Skip Martin wrote this arrangement.
![]() |
| I'd rather give up drinking than tote around a jug like that |
"Brown's Little Jug" is a takeoff on "Little Brown Jug," which had been a hit for Glenn Miller in 1939. The piece itself dates to the 1860s and probably earlier. It's a drinking song - "O - ho - ho, you and me, little brown jug how I love thee." (Drinkers are well known for using archaic English.) Martin was the arranger.
Taking its name from a street in New Orleans, "Perdido" was written by trombonist Juan Tizol in 1941 for the Duke Ellington band. It quickly became a jazz standard - and with lyrics added, a vocal standard. This chart was by Martin and Hensel.
Ray Noble wrote "Cherokee" in 1938, but it is more associated with Charlie Barnet, who not only adopted it as his theme, but elaborated the piece into "Redskin Rhumba." The tune was a favorite with boppers. Charlie Parker, for example, turned it into one of his best-known numbers, "Ko-Ko." Comstock arranged "Cherokee" for the Brown band.
![]() |
| At a 1950s dance |
The Coral label lists "Stompin' at the Savoy" as being written by Goodman, Chick Webb, Edgar Sampson and Andy Razaf, but the music was written by Sampson alone for Rex Stewart's band in 1933. They took it to Webb band the following year, then Benny got hold of it a few years later. I assume Andy Razaf wrote the lyrics that are sometimes heard. Comstock did this chart.
"Jersey Bounce" comes from Tiny Bradshaw, Eddie Johnson and Bobby Plater. "R. B. Wright" is a pseudonym for lyricist Buddy Feyne. Bradshaw was a bandleader, but he didn't have a record contract when the song was written. The first disc was by Earl Hines in 1941. The most popular was, once again, the Benny Goodman record. (I loved it; I inherited the 78 from my mom when I was a kid.) The chart was by Frank Comstock.
The final selection is one of the most famous of all - Count Basie's "One O'Clock Jump," a 1937 riff tune popular with bands and everyone else since then. (Yes, Benny recorded it.) This is a wonderful, imaginative version.
For this third record, two distinguished soloists - trumpeter Don Fagerquist and alto saxophonist Ronnie Lang - were added.
The sound on all the records is very good. The first two were a little boxy; they have benefitted from a small amount of natural reverb. All are excellent records; the third is even better than that!
LINK to Le's Dance







23 comments:
Brilliant, thank you!
Thanks Buster. These will be nice to listen to. Warm and fond memories of my father. A man, both parents actually, who loved me for who I was, and not as they hoped I would be. I was always an individual and never fit into a box. I was a mistake child, but was never treated as such, quite the contrary.
Just in case, I lost my father when I was 12.7 years of age, and I lost my mother when I was 14.4 years of age. My mother died of a broken heart, you could say. Technically, it was a stroke, though. Thankfully, she died quickly after having the stroke we were told. Her health had faded after my father passed away.
Thanks, Grover!
Bryan - I hope these bring back many wonderful memories!
Bryan - So very sad! I can't imagine.
I'd forgotten that Brown had a pretty tight group to work with. I always think of him as Bob Hope's band for those USO tours and a lot of TV shows, and he didn't always get a chance to shine.
Anon - Yes, it was quite a good band!
Dave from Ardmore, who is as ardent a Les Brown fan as you, commends you for posting these LPs and making such fine transfers. When "One O'Clock Jump" was issued as a 45 it was taken from the "Concert at the Hollywood Palladium." So were some other tracks issued as singles. They were obviously re-recorded for The "Let's Dance" album. And others like "Perdido" eluded me in my own searches for Brown's Coral recordings. I think the studio versions every bit as good, maybe better. By the way, the sound on these recordings is outstanding. The solos of Ronnie Lang, Dave Pell and Ray Sims are unfailingly good. Just for kicks, I compared Brown's version of "Stomping at the Savoy" with Kenton's from "Contemporary Concepts" done around the same time. Both are of equal merit. By the way, I like the concepts around which "Weather Vane" and "You're My Everything" are built. But then, as you know by now, I'm big on concepts. Again, thanks for posting these 3 LPs. They leave no doubt that Les Brown belongs in the jazz band pantheon. One last thing: I didn't know until recently that Ray Sims was the older brother of tenor saxist Zoot Sims. How dumb of me! There can't be that many Sims in the world.
Hi Dave - I think I read that some of the Palladium items were actually outtakes from the studio sessions. Not sure how true that is. The mayor of the town where I was born was named Sims, but that was a truncation of his real name. I had a teacher named Srp once, but his full name was Srputowski or something like that.
Dave from Ardmore has always wondered if some of the Palladium tracks were outtakes or actual released versions with applause dubbed in. "Invitation," for instance, seems identical in its 45 release to the version on 'Palladium'. Hell, Peggy Lee faked her 'live' recording with George Shearing.
Hi Buster,
I just checked your blog for this album, Christmas from Clare, Argo, 1979, but I did not see it listed.
I just downloaded a copy of it, and it sounds wonderful, but I am falling asleep, so I will have to listen to it when I am awake.
Anyway, if you have it, I think your guests will really enjoy it.
HI Bryan - I think I do! Thanks for the tip.
Hey Buster! I downloaded this the other day and forgot to leave you a comment, so I apologize. I'll leave my usual mention that I pulled a Christmas track or two from that weather-themed LP for Christmas in July once. Pretty excited to see those on there. Thanks for sharing the whole thing so I can listen to the other tracks!
Great Records! Looking forward to listening to them when I have the time. Thanks for posting.
Ernie - Be my guest with the seasonal items, and enjoy the rest!
musicman - I think you'll like them! Hope so, anyway.
Thanks Buster. As usual, you manage to touch me again with something beautiful.
Much appreciated, Ron!
Hi Buster, I finally listened to these on one of my long journeys. Yes, they brought back enjoyable memories of my father.
The companion playlists I listened to from another blog were Easy Collections that my mother so liked.
So, I had good thoughts while working on my computer, doing organization and environmental designs for a client.
Oh, I went to a University that allowed me to double major in Art. So, I have degrees in Graphic Arts and in Environmental Arts. I also have a Minor in Business.
Bryan - That's great to hear!
Buster,
Thank you for the three Les Brown Coral albums, There is a 4th one from 1951, "Over The Rainbow: (Coral 56026); could you please post it if you have it?
If not, the complete album is in YouTube; would you consider working your magic on it?
Thank you,
Hit Parade
Hit Parade - That's already on the site:
https://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/2017/08/over-rainbow-with-les-brown-plus-notes.html
Post a Comment