01 February 2026

Swing Dancing with Ralph Marterie

I've enjoyed the Ralph Marterie records posted here so far, so, hey why not another?

This item comes from 1955, is called Swing Baby, and is subtitled "dance album," in case the dancers on the cover aren't enough of a clue for you.

(The cover shot is from the same photo session as the one for On Bandstand No. 1 from 1956.)

Marterie's band was popular in the 1950s, but then and now was not considered a "jazz band." Its purpose was to play for dancing and listening, not so much to show off solo improvisations.

That said, there are solos on this LP and the charts are very much in the big band mainstream. In the tunes, the bandleader pays homage to Count Basie, Lionel Hampton, Woody Herman and others. The ensemble is tight and the charts are for the most part enjoyable (save for Laura).

Swing Baby takes its title from the first song on the LP, co-written by Marterie. This song and most of the others are traditional swing band arrangements. Unlike 1953's Dancing on the Down Beat, the album doesn't rely on the nascent rock 'n' roll movement for added spice.

Several songs, however, make use of an electric piano, which was unusual at the time. There were, to my knowledge, only a few such models on the market - the Fender Rhodes and a Wurlitzer. I wish I could enjoy the sound of the instrument, but it lacks the depth, resonance and dynamic range of the real thing - which is also present on some songs.

A few words about the selections:

  • "Stella by Starlight" is by Victor Young, dating from 1945. Ned Washington was to add the familiar lyrics, not used here, of course.
  • "One O'Clock Jump" is Count Basie's blues-based theme song, here in a different arrangement from the original.
  • "It's a Wonderful World" was a 1939 hit for its author, bandleader Jan Savitt, along with Johnny Watson and lyricist Harold Adamson.
  • "Basie Boogie" is a Count tune from 1944, written with Milton Ebbins.
  • "Lullaby of Birdland" is the famous George Shearing piece based on "Love Me or Leave Me."
  • "Robbins Nest" is by the jazz stars Illinois Jacquet and Sir Charles Thompson, from 1947. The title is taken from the radio program of disk jockey Fred Robbins.
  • "Midnight Sun" is a 1948 tune by bandleaders Lionel Hampton and Sonny Burke. Johnny Mercer later added lyrics.
  • "The Prisoner's Song" is listed as by Guy Massey but the real "author" was Vernon Dalhart, who recorded it in 1924. The song is folk-based, however.
  • "Laura" is the great David Raksin theme from the 1944 film of the same name. Johnny Mercer did the lyrics.
  • "Woodchopper's Ball" is Marterie's homage to Woody Herman, who wrote the song for his band with Joe Bishop back in 1939.
  • "Danse Arabé" is the Arabian dance from Tchaikovsky's The Nutcracker.

I wish I could tell you who the soloists are on this record, but as with other Marterie discs, the identity of the musicians is largely unknown. The songs were recorded in October and November 1955 sessions and were not released as singles, as far as I can tell.

Mercury's sound is OK, but the bass was loose and the brass at times strident, both of which I've adjusted. Also, by this time recording engineers had discovered the wonders of the compressor, so there's not much dynamic range.


16 comments:

bicho said...

thanks for another marterie record. according to the bruyninckx discography the recording dates are Chicago, IL., October 20, 1955 and Hollywood, CA., December 12, 1955 with the following musicians for the first session:
Ralph Marterie, Bill Spano, Mahlon Connor, George Bean, Dick Chaffee (p) Carl Bernhardt, Ted Steffins, Dick Brady, ... Henry (tb) Jack Gaylo, Don Zarlengh (as,cl) John Alberding, Harry Geller (ts) Charles McFadden (bar) Matt Alagna (p) unknown (g) Moe Scarazzo (b) Charlie Powers (d) and this on the second:
Ralph Marterie (tp) Conrad Gozzo, Mannie Klein, Rudy Scaffidi (tp) Carl Bernhardt, Joe Howard + 2 unknown (tb) Jack Gaylo, Les Robinson (as) Georgie Auld + other (ts) unknown (bar) Arnold Ross (p) unknown g, b
and d, Walter Baylor, Tom DeLuca (arr)

Buster said...

Thanks, bicho - very helpful!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!

Buster said...

Anon - You're welcome!

Ernie said...

Another interesting release. I think I plundered the Nutcracker selection from this one for a Christmas in July selection once upon a time. Now I can listen to the whole thing. Thanks!

Buster said...

Ernie - You find 'em all, don't you.

gimpiero said...

Great

musicman1979 said...

Thanks for pulling out a Marterie LP that i did not know about! Looking forward to listening to this one. Should be great!

Buster said...

musicman - Hope you like it. I have quite a number of Marterie's records.

Buster said...

Thanks, gimpiero!

musicman1979 said...

Hopefully one day you will post the two United Artists albums with 88 Strings (Ralph Marterie and 88 Strings and Big Band Themes with 88 Strings and a Golden Horn) if you have them. There are quite a few Marterie albums that I am still looking to add to my collection.

Pino said...

My warmest compliments to this wonderful blog. Musical and historical expertise, excellent presentation of ancient and diverse material. Amazing! Pino from Italy

Buster said...

Pino - Thanks very much for your wonderful note, which certainly made my day!

musicman1979 said...

By far one of the better Marterie albums that certainly does live up to its title. The two songs that were originally made famous by Woody Herman--"Laura" and "Woodchoppers Ball", receive very unique arrangements, with the former having a tango rhythm attached to it, while the trombone solo on the latter is kind of like an homage to the sound on Woody's original record. The title cut, "Woodchopper's Ball" "One O' Clock Jump", "Robbin's Nest" and "Stella by Starlight" are probably my favorite cuts on this album, with "Stella" receiving some excellent trumpet work from Marterie. And the electric piano featured here has a sound similar to the one's featured in two of the three big American hits from UK Rock group the Zombies: "Tell Her No", and "She's Not There." A solid four out of five stars from me.

Buster said...

musicman - Glad you liked it. Electric piano became popular with jazz groups in the 1960s, both for its sound and for its being more portable.

Bryan said...

Another good album from Ralph. I love the cover, because I used to love to watch my parents dance, and thus I knew why my father was so popular at the parties they gone too. They taught me a lot about dancing and I learn a lot more because I took Interpretive dance classes for about two years when i was about 10-12 plus.
One of my big band favorites is Ray Anthony. So, I liked this album. I will get to his other albums, Dance Date, Marterie Moods for Dancing, and Music for a Private Eye, soon.
Thanks for sharing these.