Today we'll feature what may be his best LP, A Sure Thing: David Allyn Sings Jerome Kern, from 1957. As a bonus we have a 1976 appearance on Alec Wilder's NPR radio series American Popular Song, which also is devoted to Kern.
A Sure Thing: David Allyn Sings Jerome Kern
Allyn's Jerome Kern LP was a watershed in his career. He had spent several years addicted to drugs, even serving a prison sentence for forging prescriptions. But Richard Bock and the Pacific Jazz/World Pacific label was receptive to the rehabilitated singer's idea of devoting a songbook to the works of Kern.
Allyn had some formidable help: the backings were to be done by Johnny Mandel, whom the vocalist knew from his big band days. And the notes were to be written by Sammy Davis, Jr., fresh from his triumph on Broadway in Mr. Wonderful.
![]() |
| Johnny Mandel |
The record is an unalloyed success. Allyn is in superb voice and Mandel's arrangements provide a supportive framework for him. Davis' words are generalized but apt: "I think after you hear this album you will feel as I felt - that this is an almost perfect wedding of musical ability and good taste." Sam makes oblique reference to Allyn's absence from the scene as well: "For David, the wait has been a long and very troubled one. You need only to take this album home and play it to know that he has been worth waiting for."
![]() |
| Sammy Davis and David Allyn |
The LP is in stereo, and its contents may supply a clue to its genesis. Two of the songs - "Lovely to Look At" and "I've Told Ev'ry Little Star" - have the voice in a different acoustic, panned far to the right with guitar and celesta accompaniment. On the left channel there is a flute obbligato. I'm going to guess that the voice and guitar/celesta were recorded first in mono. These may have been demos for Richard Bock, with Mandel adding the flute later. For the stereo LP, they were mastered in very wide stereo, which I've narrowed into a more natural perspective.
This LP also came out in mono, and the 1980s reissue was in mono as well. I auditioned the sound of the reissued mono LP and the stereo is much better.
Here are the songs, the lyricists and when and how each number was introduced.
- "Sure Thing": Ira Gershwin, 1944, in the film Cover Girl, sung by Gene Kelly and Rita Hayworth (dubbed by Martha Mears)
- "Dearly Beloved": Johnny Mercer, 1941, in the film You Were Never Lovelier, sung by Fred Astaire
- "I'm Old Fashioned": Johnny Mercer, 1941, in the film You Were Never Lovelier, sung by Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth (dubbed by Nan Wynn)
- "Lovely to Look At": Dorothy Fields and Jimmy McHugh, 1935, for the film version of Roberta. sung by Irene Dunne and then by Fred Astaire with Ginger Rogers (sort of)
- "The Way You Look Tonight": Dorothy Fields, 1936, in the film Swing Time, sung by Fred Astaire
![]() |
| Oscar Hammerstein and Jerome Kern |
- "The Folks Who Live on the Hill": Oscar Hammerstein, 1937, in the film High, Wide and Handsome, sung by Irene Dunne
- "Long Ago and Far Away": Ira Gershwin, 1944, in the film Cover Girl, sung by Gene Kelly and Rita Hayworth (dubbed by Martha Mears)
- "I've Told Ev'ry Little Star": Oscar Hammerstein, 1932, in the musical Music in the Air, sung by Walter Slezak and Katherine Carrington
- "All in Fun": Oscar Hammerstein, 1939, in the musical Very Warm for May, sung by Frances Mercer and Jack Whiting
- "In Love in Vain": Leo Robin, 1946, in the film Centennial Summer, sung by Jeanne Crain (dubbed by Louanne Hogan) and William Eythe (dubbed by David Street). This was Kern's final score.
You may have noticed that Allyn's name is spelling "Allen" on the LP's cover. David went back and forth on the spelling of his stage name during his career. His birth name was Albert DiLella.
Jerome Kern: American Popular Song with Alec Wilder
![]() |
| Alec Wilder in 1976 |
In 1976, National Public Radio sponsored a series on the great American songwriters with the noted songwriter and author Alec Wilder (1907-80). The show's title was derived from Wilder's influential 1972 book American Popular Song: the Great Innovators, 1900-1950.
Each episode of the program featured a notable vocalist, including Allyn for a show devoted to Jerome Kern. The host and musical accompanist for the show was pianist Loonis McGlohon (1921-2002), whose genial charm and North Carolina accent contrasted nicely with Wilder's commentary.
![]() |
| Loonis McGlohon |
The Kern program allowed the participants to revisit many of the items on the LP above in new, live versions, complete with commentary on the songs and anecdotes. Allyn is disarmingly unpretentious, even allowing the program to make use of a breakdown take on "I'm Old Fashioned."
Allyn's fine voice is drier than it was 20 years before, and his pitch a bit variable. But his interpretations retain the warmth and insight of the earlier versions.
Beside "I'm Old Fashioned," he sings "Sure Thing," "I've Told Ev'ry Little Star," "Long Ago and Far Away," "The Folks Who Live on the Hill" and "All in Fun," which also appeared on the 1957 album. He includes the following new items The notes below again identify the lyricists and when and how each number was introduced:
- "I Won't Dance": Oscar Hammerstein and Otto Harbach, 1934, in the short-lived London musical Three Sisters, sung by Adele Dixon
- "She Didn't Say Yes": Otto Harbach, 1931, in the musical The Cat and the Fiddle, sung by Bettina Hall
Also on the show, Allyn included a song in tribute to Johnny Mandel, the latter's "Don't Look Back" (lyricist Kaye Lawrence Dunham), which is the title number from David's 1975 LP on the Xanadu label.
Finally, each guest on the show also sang one of Wilder's songs. David chose "Soft as Spring," which he had recorded with Jack Teagarden in 1941. That early effort - both words and music by Wilder - can be found in the 1940-45 Allyn compilation I mentioned above.
The file below is completely tracked and tagged.
LINK to Jerome Kern radio program








32 comments:
Any Alec Wilder American Popular Song shows are more than welcome. I have most of them in varying quality but could always use more. thank you.
The sound of this one is fairly good, although the original sonics of the series were none too sophisticated.
Oh wow, can't WAIT to play these. I've heard of Allyn but never 'heard' him, plus I'm a big fan of Mandel and a bigger fan of Wilder, so this one's a winner to me before I've even dropped the needle. I was intrigued by his story after you tastefully sketched it, and found a longer, more heartbreaking account on the bandchirps site. In spite of it all, he had a long career and life, it seems. Your sharing of stuff like this makes me so grateful to be a part of this little community. Thanks again and again!
Great
Thanks, mike - I hope it lives up to your expectations!
Thanks, gimpiero!
Both records did! Wonderful new music to enjoy, and the work you do on the sound is amazing. As a bonus, now I'm on a bit of a Kern kick; pulling out lots of other JK! :-)
and yet they put out albums from the song tapes.
mike - Glad to hear it!
I think I have one or more of them, but I don't recall how they sound.
Dave from Ardmore thanks you from the bottom of his heart for this pairing. It is a shame so little of Allyn's albums have been reissued. And those Alec Wilder NPR shows need to be anthologized. Mark Murphy did some of his finest singing on one of them. And I think Teddi King was featured on another. In any case, great, great stuff. Keep the glorioes coming!
Hi Dave - There can never be too many David Allyn posts! Next up - but not soon - will be "Let's Face the Music and Dance" - I have to choose between the mono and stereo versions. Parenthetically, I hope you like the stereo version of this LP. It's better than the reissue in mono. (I did not audition the original mono issue, although I have a copy.)
would always be interested
Glad to listening to David Allyn, along with Johnny Mandel. Thanks for posting, Buster.
Anon - My pleasure!
Dave from Ardmore doesn’t care if you use mono, stereo, four track or whatever. Just please post every David Allyn you have. If Allyn is to have a second life, no one is better suited to orchestrate it than you. By the way, the Marriner “Four Seasons” is superb. Except for the Felix Ayo version with I Musici, this is my go-to recording. The same holds for his Bartok string music Argo LP. His performances are perfect.
Dave - Yes, that ASMF record is remarkable! Thanks for the compliment - makes me eager to get to work.
Thank you for this. David often told me he preferred the mono version of this LP to the Stereo takes. He was so determined when this was originally released to have them removed from the shelves! LOL, however I am in agreement with him but for the true Allyn fans this is a must. I know one thing he pointed out that he doesn't use UP ON my window pane instead of UPON my window pane as he does in the mono version of I'm Old Fashioned. I have the Wilder recording as well along with the other appearance he did where they focus on Arlen.
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your note. I actually did transfer the mono reissue side 1, but the sound was so poor I put it aside. I do have a mono original, perhaps I should audition it.
They discuss "up on/upon" in the Wilder show. David does alter one other lyric, actually the title of "The Folks Who Live on the Hill." He sings "The Folks That Live on the Hill." (Small point, but so is "up on".)
"Let's Face the Music" is next. I vaguely recall reading that the takes on the reissue are different from the original. Does this ring a bell for you?
Yes, the takes are all different. The mono reissue on Discovery was pretty good with the exception of the engineering flaw missing the first few lines of the harp. The Kern album on the two for CD David put out with Chick had a wonderful sounding Mono Kern LP rip. Yes, Folks "That" live on the hill. In all the years I knew him, I never asked him why? Let's Face the Music, his 2nd and final LP for World Pacific. David always thought "In The Blue of Evening" was his finest album. He also did an album in the 1980's with Claire Fischer which never was released.
Paul - "In the Blue of Evening" is coming up later. A shame about the 80s album - I really like Clare Fischer.
from oliver
Dear Buster - thank you so much for those great David Allyn recordings, especially the Alec Wilder programme! Although being a great admirer (like so many others) of Wilder´s book on American Popular Song, I had never heard of his NPR broadcasts and have found only two of them in the internet. Since you metioned in an earlier post that you had a number of them - would it be too much to ask if you could share some of them? I´d be really grateful!
With best wishes,
Oliver Rehlinger
Oliver - I have another coming up with David Allyn. I have other programs with other singers, and will try to upload them over time.
Thanks so much Buster. A lovely gift to start the new year.
Hi Phillip - Thanks so much!
The Alec Wilder shows have an important part of my life since they were first broadcast. (In Philadelphia, on Terry Gross's local Fresh Air 2-hour afternoon show. Later she used Marian McPartland's piano jazz. With a cassette recorder and a Kitchen timer, I recorded about
15 of them. Some are incomplete. But Tony Bennett, Johnny Hartman, Bobby Short, Teddi King, Mabel Mercer and others are all available to me. I had no copy of David Allyn/Jerome Kern
until this post but I recall it as very special. I do have David Allyn/ Harold Arlen. I am so grateful for your post and I'll be happy to share all of my shows to you or anyone of your followers. Thanks.
agmiller - That's very generous of you! I have most of the shows myself, but if I discover a missing episode, I'll leave you a note. Thanks again!
Allyn's autobiography is an interesting read (if a little depressing).
He had quite a hard life, in several ways.
Please, every who has the Wilder programs--PLEASE share them. I don't understand why the producer of the series ("ETB Radio") doesn't make it available as a podcast.
I knew David in his later years. My dad read David's book and it is best maybe not to read it. It has too many issues from an editing perspective and is very dark. It is best to concentrate on his art and talent. Singer, musician and composer, that is the best way to sum it up. He had a dark side I saw a few times but he was a great influence on me when it came to singing and musical tastes.
thanks for this
Post a Comment