Age is no barrier to romance or rendezvous. And no night is greater for romance and renewal than New Year’s Eve. Indeed, no night gives so much hope about the future — whether for revival of old, or discovery of new, promise. For me, it is a holiday about prospects — good, even grand, ones.
When given this importance, the night takes on a mystique that heightens the revelry associated with it. Maybe it’s my age or our Age itself. But I feel it necessary to hold such sentiments. There is a safety and solace in them. In light of these beliefs, I’m inviting the listener to accompany me for what used to be called a “night on the town.” Think, if you share my romanticism, of each song in this mix as a midnight madrigal that contributes to what I freely admit is a highly idealized New Year's Eve.
The opening songs prepare the listener for a night of nights. Once the music locks the listener in idealistic anticipation and expectation, the dancing and singing begins, conducted with confident cheer. So raise glasses to better times ahead. Yes, some retrospect will occur. It has to as we review the tumultuous year we are leaving behind. But whether looking backwards or forwards, tonight our cups will never run dry or our mugs be empty. The mix is filled with toasts to a brighter future. And even if that future is not bestowed on us, we can bestow it on each other.
In short, shared intimacy makes the karma good tonight. So there’s plenty of songs about close dancing in a wide variety of genres. Mindful that there will be those who take to terrace or rooftop, you will find star-studded skies waiting for you. And no matter what its phase, a shining moon will provide ample outdoor lighting.
So grab your coats and hats and drive or catch an Uber to Dave’s Download Ballroom. There the drinks are on me and the toasts are to lives worth living. Book your reservation now.
Have a happy, brave and wise New Year.
David from Ardmore


5 comments:
Thanks Buster, Thanks Dave!
Me again. Although I sent a small thanks for this on the Four Seasons thread, I just noticed this only has one acknowledgement! I put it down to how busy people were the last couple weeks. But considering the thought, care, and effort put into assembling and presenting this, I wanted to give it a bigger shout-out - hopefully where Dave can see it, too. Even though the left-over champagne is flat and the confetti is swept up for another year, I intend to explore and enjoy this in the weeks - and hopefully NYE's - to come! Many, many thanks and Happy New Year, Dave & Buster!
Thanks to Ernie and mike for the comments! The week after Christmas is not the greatest for readership - people have other things to do - so your thoughtfulness is appreciated!
:-D
:-D I was logged in, don't know why that came thru as "anonymous"
Post a Comment