As with the Spring Is Here and Summertime collections, it presents a well-chosen and beautifully performed array of seasonal specialties - some familiar, some less so. The record dates from 1954.
As with the previous LPs, the cover portrays a couple admiring the wonders of nature. It seems to be the same vista as on the Summertime cover, with autumnal colors added.
Here are a few words about the songs, which in general link the passing of summer with lost love.
The LP's title tune, "Autumn Nocturne" by Josef Myrow and Kim Gannon, had some popularity when written in 1941, but that had waned in the intervening years. Like most of the songs on the LP, it is never heard these days, which makes it all the more welcome. (Myrow also had another season covered with "It Happens Every Spring," lyrics by Mack Gordon.)
"Early Autumn" was first an instrumental piece written by Woody Herman and Ralph Burns for Woody's "Four Brothers" band. Johnny Mercer wrote lyrics for it a few years later, and Woody and Jo Stafford (among others) recorded the new version.
![]() |
| The Ray Charles Singers surround Perry Como, early 1950s |
"A Faded Summer Love" is nearly unknown today, but Phil Baxter's song attracted a large number of recordings when written in 1931, deservedly so.
Another piece that is unheard today is "Autumn in Rome." It was new when recorded for this LP. Alessandro Cicognini and Paul Weston wrote the music, Sammy Cahn the words; the number appeared in the film Indiscretion of an American Wife, where it was sung by Patti Page.
"Indian Summer" is perhaps the only misfire on the album, not because of the gorgeous Victor Herbert melody from 1919, or the Al Dubin lyrics from 20 years later. It's because of the annoying, stereotypical tom-tom part in the arrangement.
The most obscure song on the LP may be "When Leaves Bid the Trees Goodbye" by Vee Lawnhurst and Tot Seymour, dating from about 1935.
![]() |
"'Tis Autumn" is an fine song by Henry Nemo that was somewhat popular when written in 1941, but is now unfortunately obscure. This performance begins with the verse, which is even less heard than the song's chorus.
The justly famous "Autumn Leaves" began life as "Les feuilles mortes," written by Joseph Kosma and Jacques Prévert. It was sung in the film Les portes de la nuit by Yves Montand. Johnny Mercer came up with the English lyrics that were first recorded by Jo Stafford.
"Shine On, Harvest Moon" dates from the Ziegfeld Follies of 1908, where Nora Bayes and Jack Norworth introduced it. Their names are on the sheet music, but many people think that Edward Madden and Gus Edwards actually wrote it - or perhaps Bayes' pianist Dave Stamper. In any case, this LP includes the verse, which I had never heard before.
Kurt Weill and Maxwell Anderson wrote the poignant "September Song" for Knickerbocker Holiday in 1938. Walter Huston introduced it.
"September in the Rain" is a terrific song that Harry Warren and Al Dubin wrote for 1935's Stars Over Broadway, only for it to be used as background music. But a few years later it popped up in Melody for Two, where it was sung by James Melton.
The LP ends with the optimistic "Autumn in New York," Vernon Duke's anthem from the 1934 revue Thumbs Up! This version is good; I also recommend the astonishing Sarah Vaughan recording from 1956.
The singers on this LP include Katie Carnes, Fran Carroll, Miriam Workman, Lois Winter, Lillian Clark, Rae Whitney, Elise Bretton, Marilyn Palmer, Peggy Powers, Barbara Nelson, Artie Malvin, Mike Stewart, Jerry Duane, Steve Steck, Alan Sokoloff, Ed Lindstrom, Murray Kane, Gene Lowell, Clyde Seckler, Gene Steck, Bob Spiro and Rudy Williams. Charles himself has excellent solos in "Faded Summer Love" and "'Tis Autumn."
Among the instrumentalists are Bernie Leighton, piano, George Barnes, guitar, Bernie Kaufman, reeds, and Nick Perito, accordion.
The sound is generally good and the performances all that you may have come to expect.






27 comments:
I love this whole series! Thanks for continuing to share out new pieces. :)
Thanks, Ernie!
Thank you
GREAT!!!
Another great post with a stellar lineup of songs! Cannot wait to dive into this one. I have read reports that "Early Autumn" was based on a riff that was featured in Woody Herman's "Summer Sequence, Part IV." There haven't been too many other recordings of "A Faded Summer Love." I think I have one from Eydie Gorme; I know Patti Page recorded it on her second Columbia LP, Love After Midnight. Plus, you got this post in before the first day of Autumn was in the books. Good for you.
Again, great period front cover artwork.
In reading the liner notes to the previous volumes posted, I think this album was the first one in the series.
I've been anxiously await this one...But enjoying everything else in the interim. Thanks!
This is probably the first version of "Indian Summer" that I have heard that uses an Indian-tribal drum effect in its music. The group's Bum-Bum-Bums remind me of the singers in Harry Simeone's original version of the Little Drummer Boy. As great as Ray's singers are, I still prefer Glenn Miller's recording featuring vocals from another Ray, Ray Eberle.
musicman - Yes, "Early Autumn" is part four of Summer Sequence. "Faded Summer Love" faded in popularity after the 1930s.
You're welcome, Keek!
musicman - I don't mind the singing in "Indian Summer," I just don't like the tom-tom. Sinatra did a great version of this song, too.
Muchas gracias por este buen archivo musical.
Francisco - ¡De nada!
I love that you share this series, Buster! My gateway to this music was my parent's RCS "Winter Wonderland" album back when I was a kid, that, to this day, is my essential winter comfort music. I break it out at Christmas, of course, but enjoy it long after the tree is down. And though every one of this series is a delight, that one seems (to my ears) to be the perfect marriage of artist to material, where the intimate, velvety vocals, the orchestrations, every single note evokes a romantic winter night. But each of these is special, and it's pretty wonderful that you share them and keep their sounds alive, hopefully for generations to come. Also, many additional thanks for the buffet of back room bounty!
mike - Thanks as always for your note! "Winter Wonderland" is coming up. I thought I didn't have a copy, then discovered I had two! So one of them ought to be good enough to transfer. I also will have some more obscure RCS material to post over time.
I can wait for winter, but I can't wait for "Winter", he he he. My rip is fairly acceptable, if you should not be able to find yours. I've vastly cleaned up the cover art for all of them, though, so those are on offer if you should ever need them, although I believe the ones you've shared thus far look great.
Sorry, my first reply to yours ended up as a new post, I always do that. Don't expect you to reply to all my gibberish when I send too much - but I DID forget to add a thank you for your notes on this one. Your essays are always so fun and enlightening, but especially enjoyed this because a) it's fun to remember (per your notes) that some of these tunes are now "obscure" - because as a fan of vintage music, many of these pop up all the time for me, so I forget no one knows 'em but us die-hards. And b) The tom-toms are, as they say "cringe". (Others seem to agree!) OK, I think that's it for this one, he he
Thanks, mike! I should be able to do a transfer myself, but if not I'll call on you.
mike - People much younger than me would not be familiar with most of these songs. Glad you like the notes!
For Mike: Ernie's transfer of the album from 2023:
https://ernienotbert.blogspot.com/2023/12/back-with-ray-part-1.html
In comparing the covers, it looks as if the couple on Autumn Nocturne and Summertime are the same ones; the one on Spring Is Here looks like a different pair, with the man looking a lot like Johnny Mann.
musicman - And the Winter Wonderland cover is a different scene altogether.
Thank you musicman! And thank you Ernie! I think I've raved about this stuff on Ernie's Christmas blog in holidays past; , poor readers!
Raving is always welcome at the blog, thanks! :)
Thanks for another in this great series!
You're welcome, Dave!
Post a Comment