28 August 2025

Buster's Back Room

Over the 17 years this blog has been around, I've posted many hundreds of transfers and compilations. But I've also developed a habit of taking projects up to a certain point and then putting them aside or starting over. And then forgetting about them.

Case in point: years ago I began working on three compilations of all Sarah Vaughan's early recordings, everything she did until she joined Columbia. There are 56 such tracks. The problem is that the sound quality can be rough, so I've never been happy with them, despite three passes at the files. So there they sit.

Other times, I figured the interest in the certain recordings would be limited to me (i.e., the ocarina and vocal group The Foursome), or thought that the music is over-exposed (who needs more Mahler?) or I didn't feel like writing about the subject (composer Kay Swift).

On the chance that some of you might be interested in these projects, I've developed a list, which I present below. Leave me a comment if one appeals to you. I can't promise immediate service (I can be finicky about things), nor that I will write my usual elaborate commentary on the music, but I'll post 'em sooner or later. Assuming I don't forget.

  • Anita Ellis - a comprehensive view of this fine vocalist's work in the 1940s - commercial recordings, transcriptions, film dubs, etc. In all, 42 tracks.
  • Balakirev - Overture on Themes of Three Russian Songs, Music to King Lear - conducted by Ginzburg and Anosov on Melodiya
  • Beecham conducts Delius - the complete 1946 Delius Festival recordings

  • Bloch - Trois poèmes juifs conducted by Hendl and Herbert - Cello Concerto with Bernard Greenhouse, conducted by Schoenherr
  • Bob Manning - his pre-Capitol recordings, dating from 1947-50
  • Bobby Hackett on Commodore - his 1938 and 1944 recordings with Eddie Condon, Bud Freeman and the usual culprits
  • Karl Böhm conducts Brahms Symphony No. 1. A 1959 recording with the Berlin Philharmonic.
  • Buddy Clark - Lucky Strike and Associated Transcriptions from 1938-41
  • Charles LaVere's Chicago Loopers - the 1944-50 Jump recordings with Billy May, Joe Venuti and the gang
  • Charlie Cochran - Presenting Charlie Cochran. An excellent 1963 LP by the cabaret singer.
  • Czech music - Slavický - Moravian Dance Fantasies, Janáček - Lachian Dances, Bakala and Ančerl conduct
  • Eleanor Steber - Songs at Eventide with Howard Barlow
  • Gloria Wood - various 1940s and 50s singles from this fine vocalist
  • Jane Powell at M-G-M - 23 tracks spanning her career with the legendary studio.
  • Kay Swift - her complete oeuvre on record
  • Mahler - Symphony No. 1 in the original version (conducted by Wyn Morris) and the revision (conducted by Jascha Horenstein)
  • Martinon conducts Debussy - Noctures and Prélude a l'après-midi d'un faune, with the ORTF from 1973

    • Marty Paich - two LPs: Jazz Studio 2 from Hollywood and The Marty Paich Octet
    • Private Hell No. 36 - Leith Stevens' score to the 1954 film noir
    • Robert Shaw - Mozart Requiem
    • Sarah Vaughan - Her complete early recordings, pre-Columbia = 56 tracks
    • Sue Raney - An expanded version of the previously posted collection of her Capitol singles, now complete at 23 songs. Also, two sets of transcriptions from The Navy Swings and Treasury Dept. Guest Star programs.
    • Ted Straeter's New York - the 1955 Atlantic LP by the cabaret singer-pianist
    • The Foursome - the singing ocarina players in their semi-complete recordings with Bing, Dick Powell and others. 22 tracks.
    • They All Sang (and Played) Willard Robison - 55 selections as presented by bands, vocalists, country artists and others
    • Thurl Ravenscroft - 25 songs from the 1950s by the famous studio bass, voice of Tony the Tiger, etc.
    • Tommy Wolf - the two LPs released by the singer-pianist who wrote many fine songs, largely with lyricist Fran Landesman
    There are quite a few more, but this will give you some idea.

    89 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Actually, most of them appeal to me. The short list is stuff I'm not particularly interested in: the Jane Russell, the Mozart, the Debussy. Everything else sounds great!

    Buster said...

    Anon - Well, you certainly have eclectic tastes! Let's see what others want.

    Anonymous said...

    The Balakirev sounds interesting, indeed! DG release the Brahms 1 on CD and I think it is one of the finest versions ever. Bohm got the tempi absolutely right! The sound, however, is rather misty . . . Many thanks for all of the work that you have put into this blog!

    Jimmy said...

    Anything you host I'll give a listen at least once, but from your above list, I'd choose the Czech music and the Foursome with their ocarinas; seeing Dick Powell's name piqued my interest.
    Thank you for sharing all the music you have shared.

    Carrington Dixon said...

    Eleanor Steber, please.

    Buster said...

    Anon - I am a great admirer of the conductor and the Brahms performance. The sound from the original LP is really good. I'll eventually post it and we'll see how it stands vs. the CD. Also, I appreciate the thanks!

    Buster said...

    Jimmy - Sounds good. I do like both of those!

    Buster said...

    Carrington - Wow, some love for Eleanor! It's an unusual one!

    Unknown said...

    please do! do! do! Anita Ellis, Kay Swift, Jane Powell...yes yes yes

    MPT said...

    Bloch - Trois poèmes juifs conducted by Hendl and Herbert - Cello Concerto with Bernard Greenhouse // and // Karl Böhm conducts Brahms Symphony No. 1. Yes yes! You can imagine me to jumping here with joy like dog seeing its bowl-provider :-D

    Buster said...

    MPT/Rover - Goodness, I had no idea that someone would want that Greenhouse disc!

    Buster said...

    Unknown - All good choices!

    Anonymous said...

    Bloch - Trois poèmes juifs Hendl y Herbert - Cello Concerto Bernard Greenhouse- PLEASE !!!

    musicman1979 said...

    Please try to finish up Sue Raney, Sarah Vaughan, Buddy Clark, Bob Manning, and Marty Paich please. Thanks in advance.

    musicman1979 said...

    I am also interested in listening to the Thurl Ravenscroft offering as well.

    Buster said...

    Anon - Another Greenhouse fan! He's running neck and neck with Bohm.

    Buster said...

    musicanman - Can do, but all this will take me some time!

    Buster said...

    musicman - I put it together years ago; it's GRR-EAT!

    Elgatosierra said...

    Muy buenas. Yo me apunto a lo de Sarah Vaughan. Y muchas gracias por anticipado... :)

    RonH said...

    When I read names like Anita Ellis, Sue Rainey, Sarah Vaughan, and Bob Manning, I'm overjoyed because I have a lot, but also a lot I don't. I'm very excited about the future of your blog. Have a nice weekend, Buster.

    PELEON said...

    Hi, first of all, thank you for all these years of music. Second, I never would have imagined Scrum being applied to a music blog, so I imagine the list are the User Stories and the final files the Happy Path :)

    To the list, I'd add The Other Ray Charles' LP "Memories Of A Middle-Aged Movie Fan."
    And in Sue Raney's post, the singles for Imperial/Liberty?
    And as I said, before thank you for all these years of good music.

    centuri said...

    Wow ! so promising !!
    much looking forward...

    Andrew said...

    Hi Buster.

    Thanks for asking; I'm only really familiar with the "classical" stuff, but I'd definitely add another vote for Bloch/Herbert, please.

    Also, yes, we could need more Mahler if it's the original version of the first symphony (I guess this means with the Blumine movement).

    I've never really "got" Delius, but if anyone will convince me it will probably be Beecham, so a vote for those as well please.

    Kind regards

    Andrew

    Ernie said...

    I hear ya, buddy. I've got a million albums in the pile that are in some quantum state of transfer. Are they started, are they finished, are they in some intermediate state that changes each time I observe them? It's hard to say, and opening that box will either reveal a living or a dead cat, and I don't really want to know. My vote goes to Thurl, if only for his Christmas stuff. I recently found an LP put out by the Crystal Cathedral in the early 80's that featured narration by Thurl. Looking forward to sharing that out this holiday season. :)

    Arthur said...

    Would really love the Eleanor Steber!

    Buster said...

    Elgatosierra - Lo haré, pero todo esto me llevará algún tiempo.

    Buster said...

    Hi Ron - A lot of this is material you may not have - transcriptions and the like. And for Manning, early recordings on small labels.

    Buster said...

    PELEON - I actually do have that Ray Charles LP, but I will need to transfer it. The Sue Raney package does include six Imperial sides; probably not all of them.

    Buster said...

    Jean - Yes, this material is surprisingly popular.

    Buster said...

    Andrew - Bloch/Herbert will be coming up soon. I enjoy Delius, but understand your feelings about it! The Beechams are good, though. And the Mahler does include the Blumine movement.

    Buster said...

    Ernie - I love Thurl; what a voice! The collection I put together is in no way comprehensive at 29 tracks, but it does include "Santa's Too Fat for the Hula Hoop."

    Buster said...

    Arthur (my middle name and the name of my father, both grandfathers, and both my uncles): She is surprisingly popular and will be near the top of the queue.

    earlybird said...

    Love to get the Jane Powell recordings. Thanks

    Buster said...

    earlybird - She also is popular and will appear relatively soon.

    Geoconno said...

    You have whetted my appetite for the possibilities of recordings by Anita Ellis, Buddy Clark, Charlie Cochran, Kay Swift, Sarah Vaughan, Sue Raney, Ted Straeter, and Thurl Ravenscroft.

    Buster said...

    Geoconno - You do love the vocalists (and Kay Swift)! Will post these over time.

    Martyzilla said...

    Sarah Vaughan interests me in particular! If I have to choose just one, that'd be the one. BUT - Anita Ellis, Buddy Clark, Tommy Wolf, Charlie Cochran, Sue Raney, those all hold high levels of interest for me as well. This list in *amazing*!

    Buster said...

    Hi Marty - Looks like I am going to need to post all of those over time - Sarah, Anita and Sue certainly! I just need to find the time to write about them - which is always the problem.

    Grover Gardner said...

    I vote for ALL of them, but paricularly the Willard Robison.

    Buster said...

    Grover - You're my kind of guy! The Robison will take some time because it is very long and complicated.

    gimpiero said...

    Anita Ellis
    Sarah Vaughan
    Sue Raney
    Jane Powell alla MGM
    Gloria Wood
    Thanks

    Buster said...

    gimpiero - Good selections!

    Anonymous said...

    The whole list is amazing! Thank you

    Carol Ann said...

    Sue Raney please

    Siriami said...

    Jane Powell sounds good to me - she did so much good work during her tenure at MGM. A lot of her light classical recordings for them are real gems. I always enjoy visiting your excellent blog!

    Buster said...

    Anon - You're welcome!

    Buster said...

    Carol Ann - Sue will be coming up; might take a little while.

    Buster said...

    Siriami - Thanks for the compliment! Jane will appear fairly soon.

    Anonymous said...

    Most of these LPs would be of interest. But if I can specifically ask for a few, they would be:
    Both Marty Paich LPs
    Sue Raney
    Böhm's Brahm's 1st
    Balakirev
    Czech music - Slavický & Janáček

    Thanks Buster for your great blog and generosity.

    Purcell

    Anonymous said...

    I'm a fan of Kay Swift and Thurl Rasvenscroft. BUT I think you should work on what you want to work on, and Im just super grateful that you share with us!

    Buster said...

    Purcell - I appreciate your comment(s)! All of those will appear over time, the Brahms very soon.

    Buster said...

    Anon - Thanks so much! I enjoy seeing what other people like, but the blog will certainly always reflect my tastes.

    Anonymous said...

    Buster: Thanks for all you do...I'd LOVE for you to do a massive Mabel Mercer post. The world need more exposure to the great Mabel! Thanks for even considering this.

    Buster said...

    Anon - Yeah I love Mabel; I have her first 10-inch LP, etc. But the results of this post will keep me busy for a while!

    musicman1979 said...

    I am also casting a vote for Gloria Wood; I did not think she cut any solo material on her own after Kay Kyser's orchestra disbanded in the early-'50's.

    musicman1979 said...

    You would probably have to go to either Discogs or E-Bay to pick up Sarah Vaughan compilation LP's of her Musicraft sides on Everest Records; I checked a few days ago on E-Bay and found out they put 3 of them. These Everest collections probably have better sound quality than your original sources, unless the Eli Oberstein budget vinyl pressings have decent sound quality.

    musicman1979 said...

    Thumbs up!

    Guillermo said...

    Buster: thank you for our offer. I ask for the Mahler by Morris and Horenstein, wonderfull indeed

    Buster said...

    musicman - She cut quite a bit of stuff, including the Columbia LP "Wood by the Fire," IIRC. My collection is not comprehensive - actually I think what I have transferred isn't all of it - but there are releases on Columbia, Capitol and some small labels. Also, she was a much in-demand studio singer.

    Buster said...

    musicman - Actually, I first heard these sides on the Everest records, which I bought 50 years ago. They don't have very good sound. I'd rather work from the 78s, in any case.

    Buster said...

    Guillermo - Mahler it is. It will take me some time. This has turned out to be more popular than I thought it would be!

    Buster said...

    musicman - I transferred these 11 years ago, so they are gonna need some work.

    Guillermo said...

    thank you so much! I eagerly wait for it

    Anonymous said...

    Thurl Ravenscroft!!!

    Williott said...

    Thank you! Charlie Cochran - Presenting Charlie Cochran looks interesting

    Buster said...

    Williott - Yes, that's a good selection. A few people have asked for him, so he will appear at some point.

    Eddie said...

    I can always count on your blog to provide fine remasters and a great variety of music. When I was posting on youtube as Eddie Styles, Gloria Wood got quite a few listens, so I'm interested in your selections as well as Sarah Vaughan and Sue Raney. Thurl is always great as well (love his song with the Mellomen "Winter Song" aka Look Out The Window. Keep up the fantastic work!

    NikZ said...

    Definitely a Greenhouse fan here too! Would love to hear his Herbert. Whatever you chose I adore your posts for the interesting comments, choice of music/artists & the fine transfers! Thank you so much…looking forward to whatever you chose for us next…

    Buster said...

    Eddie - Sue and Sarah will appear relatively soon, Thurl and Gloria in the medium term. Thanks for your kind note!

    musicman1979 said...

    Take your time; I am not in a hurry to hear them. She also appeared on Kay Kyser's Capitol tribute album in which Stan Freberg filled in for the Maestro. However, she was so-off mic, even in the Mono mix, particularly on "Woody Woodpecker", I wound up purging my copy.

    musicman1979 said...

    With fifty-plus tracks, it might take as long to assemble as some of your recent theme posts like the Baseball songs and your Alice In Wonderland-themed entry.

    Buster said...

    musicman - That sounds like an interesting album - I've never seen it. I think I have included the Kyser version of Woody, but not sure at this remove. I have more Gloria that I haven't included, mostly because I can't find it!

    Ernie said...

    Wow, you really got out the vote on this one! Maybe I should do this at Christmas time. I'll post a list of everything I have to share and ask what people want to hear. Only I'm afraid no one will be interested in any of it... :)

    Buster said...

    Ernie - That's what I thought. It turned out that people are interested in almost everything.

    musicman1979 said...

    cover art for Capitol Kyser LP:

    www.ebay.com/itm/267119516927?_skw=Kay+Kyser%27s+Greatest+Hits+Capitol+Records&itmmeta=01K4BHRBKQ75ERJXKSV8FHQF0J&hash=item3e31905cff:g:Xd8AAOSwWGpnfydP&itmprp=enc%3AAQAKAAABAFkggFvd1GGDu0w3yXCmi1dydHzMJ6PT%2F%2B%2FfBMYwI6v0mkHQrKoNjgAdNpSNd%2FQFCqykb5zQi9GYvQeydy2DG5Os8MYNK8UynIL8ydtXetlitT1vT%2BeiJ1shNRA8PVaLV1Na6l2i1xFSacnaFdfyu3j4HNKi2pGoWY41dolEYFYjO3%2FlUBH19EBqcx8e2rWCD8xIc4fekVjbruOqv00tIXVjdPEzZSKd6OtF4AgkT8k23L6SyIYO3fmgO7RwjVaMsFjbcs4oeVLhMPE6RhTBmSxOLrU5poYIPkT%2FfuSTdf%2BJdEcF0z%2Bl%2FmlrUiw0xzA31K6KwBt5zse8TlHnMgOLO40%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM-rnh8aJm

    Buster said...

    musicman - Oh yes, I have seen that LP; I wasn't aware of the contents, only that it wasn't the originals. I do have the Kyser version of Woody in this collection, I'm almost certain.

    Ernie said...

    You shares are better than mine. :)

    Anonymous said...

    An impressive list. I'll go forB.Hackett and Condon's mob. M.Paich,Sue Raney and Bloch cello. Is that the Gloria Wood of 'Hot Canary' with Pete Candoli? Many thank you's in advance. Roger.

    Anonymous said...

    Correction from me, it was 'Hey, Bellboy' by Gloria Wood, 1953. Roger.

    Buster said...

    Roger - Yes, it's that Gloria Wood. Some of your list will appear relatively soon.

    Bryan Cooper said...

    Hi Buster, I'm little late to the party, but my votes are as follows (in no particular order): Anita Ellis, Bob Manning, Buddy Clark, Charles LeVere, Gloria Wood, The Foursome and Willard Robison. As always, if I can be of any assistance in supplying recordings for you, please don't hesitate to reach out!
    Best, Bryan

    Buster said...

    Hi Bryan - Good to hear from you. Ellis and Wood are coming up reasonably soon. I'm happy to have a vote for Charlie LaVere! I'll get to all of these, but it will take me some time.

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Buster,
    I'm very interested in the vocalists, particularly Anita Ellis and Gloria Wood, and in the Kay Swift material. Thanks for everything you do.\
    RayK

    Buster said...

    RayK - Those are all coming up.

    Anonymous said...

    Hi Buster,
    I'd like to express interest for the Private Hell No. 36 score and also echo other's interest in Thurl Ravenscroft and Bobby Hackett.

    Buster said...

    Anon - Private Hell 36 and Thurl are on the list. Bobby will be later on.

    Jeffrey H. Mulvey said...

    I would love to have the Bohm/Berin PO Brahms 1st. I tried to get the previous incarnations of it and was unsuccessful.

    Unknown said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Buster said...

    Jeffrey - It's available via this post:

    https://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/2025/09/from-back-room-bohms-brahms-1.html

    The link does work.