18 July 2025

Connie Francis Rocks Out

Connie Francis, who has just died, was a powerful hitmaker in the 1950s and 60s - versatile, technically secure and possessed of a strong sense of rhythm.

All of those qualities shine through on this, her rock 'n' roll album from 1959, which literally has as its centerpiece her hit recording of "Lipstick on Your Collar."

It's easy to dismiss the single as a kiddie record. After all, it starts out with a girls chorus singing a "nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah" refrain. But that's the worst part of the record - perhaps producer-arranger Ray Ellis' weakest moment on the record.

The best parts are the performances of Francis and guitarist George Barnes, whose career dated back to the NBC Orchestra in 1938, when he was 17.

Connie is a compelling narrator of this tale of teenage betrayal. She never plays the victim; instead she is outraged by her boyfriend's infidelity, proclaiming, "Bet your bottom dollar / you are I are through / 'cause lipstick on your collar / told a tale on you!" She is in command of the situation.

George Barnes, guitar idol

Commanding is also the word for guitarist Barnes, who rips off what is in my estimation one of the greatest pop guitar solos ever. He breaks in just as Francis is finishing her chorus with a rip-snorting run that is technically secure, rhythmically compelling, and that seems to amplify the tale that Connie has been telling.

The rest of the album is good, too, but of course it's a set of covers, so it has to suffer comparisons with the iconic originals. Here are the songs and the artists who are covered:

  • "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Don't Be Cruel" - Elvis Presley. It's a shame that Barnes didn't get a chance to outgun Scotty Moore on the first song. Moore's solo plays the same role on the Elvis record as Barnes' does on "Lipstick on Your Collar." Francis pushes the beat on the second song; she's much better on "Heartbreak Hotel."

Ray Ellis

  • "Tweedlee Dee" - La Vern Baker. This was Baker's breakout hit, and is driven by her confident, emphatic singing, but is otherwise a novelty. The cover was by George Gibbs. This has a good Ellis arrangement and Connie is very adept.
  • "I Almost Lost My Mind" - A blues by Ivory Joe Hunter that has a sing-song quality. The cover version was by Pat Boone. Francis and Ellis take it very slowly - it works nicely.
  • "I Hear You Knockin'," "Ain't That a Shame" and "I'm Walkin'" - The former was by Smiley Lewis, the latter two by Fats Domino; Dave Bartholomew was the driving force behind the New Orleans sound. The covers were by Gale Storm, Pat Boone and Ricky Nelson. Connie handles these remarkably well, but the band doesn't quite have the New Orleans sound down.

Connie Francis

  • "Just a Dream" - Jimmy Clanton's first hit, and another one from the Louisiana scene. Francis does it ably, but there isn't much to work with.
  • "Sincerely" - This was a hit for the Moonglows first, but Connie's version is based on the McGuire Sisters' cover, with Francis triple-tracked at points.
  • "Silhouettes" - The Rays' big hit, which actually did better than the cover version by the Diamonds. Francis does a professional job, but the interplay among the Rays is better than between Connie and her backing group. Also her head note at the end isn't her best idea.
  • "It's Only Make Believe" - Connie's version rivals Conway Twitty's original in intensity. I like Glen Campbell's later cover the best.
The record is a fine tribute to a talented and multifaceted singer.

LINK


26 comments:

RecordCollector said...

A wonderful tribute to a great artist Buster! She's still very famous over here and my youngest daughter is a great fan of Connie like her father is. And yeah, this album is one that played regulary on the cd player.

The version of "Silhouettes" I prefer is the one done by the Four Seasons.

gimpiero said...

GREAT!!!

Noises From Apt 2A said...

Thanks so much, Buster !

Buster said...

Thanks, RC! I have a sentimental attachment to the Rays.

Buster said...

Thanks, gimpiero!

Buster said...

Noises - A great pleasure!

musicman1979 said...

Great choice. This is one of the few albums from her that I don't have in my collection.

Buster said...

musicman - I hope (and believe) you'll like it!

saba said...

In 1960 she did an album of swing and standards.

musicman1979 said...

This album is very much in the style and pattern of her Country and Western Golden Hits album, wherein she sings to the original arrangements (again adapted by Ray Ellis.). This has excellent versions of Just A Dream and Tweedle Dee that are better than the originals! Great Slammin' version of I'm Walkin' with a great saxophone solo in the instrumental break.

musicman1979 said...

Candidate for the worst cut on the disc is her take on Gale Storm's "I Hear You Knockin", in which she takes out Storm's cuteness and replaced it with a tired-sounding vocal. Ellis did a better job with the arrangements on this, making them sound unique in places, whereas on Country and Western Golden Hits, he hardly brought anything new musically to the table. Excellent album! Four out of five stars from me.

Buster said...

saba - Yes, she was quite prolific!

Buster said...

musicman - I think she was going more for Smiley Lewis than Gale.

Anonymous said...

Dave from Ardmore thanks you for being of like mind to him and paying homage to Connie on your blog, as I have done mine at Dave’s Desk. I have both Bear Family Box sets devoted to her late 1950s and early 1960s recordings. If you are a completist, try to find them. I think they are out of print. By the way, there is also a 1968 album devoted to Bacharach-David songs that is superb.

Buster said...

Thanks, Dave - she was so good! Ironically, I don't think she gets enough credit for the rock material such as this record.

luckymike said...

Thank you for this sweet salute to Connie.

Buster said...

And thank you, mike!

Geoconno said...

I don't think her album of Broadway songs ever made it to CD and it's not streaming either. Did it not sell well back in the day?

Buster said...

Geoconno - I am not sure, but she made a large number of records, so some of them might have been missed.

Ernie said...

Thanks for posting this, Buster. She's one of those artists who, to be honest, I didn't realize was still with us until she wasn't. :(

Buster said...

Ernie - Yeah, she seemed to always be around in my listening life, but she was only 11 years older than me!

musicman1979 said...

It could have made onto one of her two Bear Family box sets, but I am not sure, if the album in question is Happiness--Connie Francis on Broadway Today.

musicman1979 said...

Yes, that could be Songs to A Swinging Band. Her second LP, The Exciting Connie Francis, again with Ray Ellis at the helm, had a side full of swingers and another side full of ballads.

Geoconno said...

Yes, that is the album I meant. It doesn't seem to have been included on either of the Bear Family sets.

Chuki said...

Thank you for sharing this album. Would you kindly also share her other MGM LPs please.

Buster said...

Chuki - It's unusual for this site to post rock records, so this is the extent of what we can provide, I'm afraid.