28 April 2025

Maryla Jonas Remastered

Ten years ago I transferred three LPs with the playing of a forgotten pianist named Maryla Jonas (1911-59).

Jonas led a difficult life, well chronicled in a Wikipedia entry. From Poland, she fled the Nazis to Brazil and eventually the US. She was able to reestablish her career enough that she made a series of recordings for Columbia, centered on Chopin.

These performances are extraordinary, combining technical control with depth of feeling - often melancholy.

The LPs I transferred, all of Chopin, are newly remastered.

Piano Music of Chopin


Jonas' first album came from 1946, with a mixed program as follows:

Mazurka in B-Flat major
Mazurka in F minor, op. 68, no. 4
Mazurka in G minor, op. 67, no. 2
Mazurka in B minor, op. 30, no. 2
Nocturne in E minor, op. 72, no. 1
Nocturne in C sharp minor, Op posth
Waltz in D-flat major, op. 70, no. 3
Waltz in G-flat major, op. 70, no. 1
Polonaise in B-flat major, op. 71, no. 2


Chopin - Mazurkas


Jonas recorded two programs of Mazurkas, in 1947 and 1949. These were combined in a 1953 Columbia Entré LP:

Mazurka in F major, op. 68, no. 3
Mazurka in G major Op posth
Mazurka in C minor, op. 56, no. 3
Mazurka in E minor, op. 41, no. 2
Mazurka in A-flat major, op. 41, no. 4
Mazurka in C minor, op. 30, no. 1
Mazurka in A-flat major, op. 24, no. 3
Mazurka in A minor, op. posth. 'Notre temps'
Mazurka in C-sharp minor, op. 30, no. 4
Mazurka in E minor, op. 17, no. 2
Mazurka in C major, op. 24, no. 1
Mazurka in A minor, op. 17, no. 4
Mazurka in A-flat major, op. 17, no. 3
Mazurka in A minor, op. 59, no. 1
Mazurka in G-sharp minor, op. 33, no. 1
Mazurka in A minor, op. 67, no. 4
Mazurka in C-sharp minor, op. 63, no. 3
Mazurka in C major, op. 7, no. 5


Chopin - Nocturnes


In 1950, Columbia recorded Jonas in five Nocturnes:

Nocturne in E-flat major, op. 9, no. 2
Nocturne in B major, op. 32, no. 1
Nocturne in G minor, op. 15, no. 3
Nocturne in B-flat minor, op. 9, no. 1
Nocturne in F minor, op. 55, no. 1


14 comments:

Jimmy said...

Thank you. You are making life difficult, in a good way. I need to find time for all the listening.

Buster said...

Jimmy - These recordings are worth your time, I promise! Thanks for your note!

rev.b said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rev.b said...

I'm embarrassed to admit I wasn't aware of Maryla Jonas before now, but if Columbia signed her, she was obviously very talented. What a remarkable tho' difficult life she led, also obviously a tenacious talent as well. Thanks for the introduction Buster.

Buster said...

rev.b - I think you'll enjoy them. At least I hope so!

gimpiero said...

Great

perdido said...

Thanks for sharing this. Her recordings of the Mazurkas are up there with the greats!

Buster said...

Thanks, gimpiero!

Buster said...

perdido - The Mazurkas are favorites of mine as well.

Keek said...

Gorgeous. Between the two blogs, I barely have time to keep up. Great problem to have. Thank you.

Buster said...

keek - Gorgeous - my reaction as well. Glad you are enjoying the recordings!

centuri said...

I already was very impressed to discover Jonas thanks to you; these new posts so well remastered do even more justice to her real talent. Never showing off, I like a lot her phrasings in Chopin. Thanks so much for your efforts dear Buster.

centuri said...

Btw, did she record any of Chopin's concertos? Would love to hear that...

Buster said...

Hi Jean - Thanks for your notes! She did not record any concerted works, to my knowledge - seems a pity!