The irrepressible Dave Federman is back with another carefully chosen collection for you - 40 songs themed to "a new year for two."I was already headed into 2025 with a troubled mind when my wife and I tested positive for Covid on Christmas Eve. So while I wanted to spend the last night of 2024 in the Great Indoors with my wife listening to music that shuts down, if not out, the world, I did not think it would be in a context of quarantine. Nevertheless, I suspect many of you who are reading this share my pre-Covid need. The idea is to enjoy as light and sweet-hearted an evening as possible, which given coming events may seem impossible.
Think of this New Year's as a time out from time itself spent with a spouse, partner or significant other. Stay suspended in the time and space between years and let there be peace on earth for the last few hours before and after the last and first midnight of the old and new year. If such intimacy and timelessness sound inviting, you’ve come to the right place for its music soundtrack.
Yes, there is a countdown of sorts to midnight, but it is a midnight of intimacy that could happen on any night where two people have time on their hands only for each other. Tonight all dreams come true - or are dreams you would want to see do so. Give the last hours of seasonal gaiety safe harbor. Three’s a crowd tonight. All this music is meant to give affection renewal by reminding of the depth it can have, resume or take. New Year's can be a real Valentine’s Day. Don’t wait till February. This is your night of nights and day of days.
As usual, this music mostly spans the 20th century, starting in 1908 and making its way into the 1960s. A few selections inch closer to the present, but the purpose of these songs is to lift spirits in times of adversity. And music is not as successful these days in credible, well-crafted and enduring sentimentality. Lots of love is found or regained here with records meant to mark its arrival and pledge eternal tenancy. Don’t make promises with fingers crossed but entwined in those of your partner. All hands on deck where walls are still decked with holly.

16 comments:
People still test for Covid? Why? And quarantine as well? I do thank you for the music.
Thanks for the NYE playlist Dave. Will put it to good use.
Dave, thanks for the music, and I hope you get better soon!
Your comment is frighteningly myopic. Thanks to Paxlovid, I feel semi-normal again. Plague times are far from over. Covid courtesies still need to be observed and should be for a long time to come.
I wish I had the luxury of being able to dismiss covid as yesterday's news. Considering the state of my health, if I caught it, it would put me in great danger.
Yep, covid's still around, mutating away as we speak. Mercifully it's not killing thousands a day, but it’s still making people sick and is fatal to some. The reason for quarantining it to prevent the spread. I s’poze it’s dealt with in much the same way as the flu these days; get vaccinated, wash your hands, don’t rub your eyes or pick your nose, just like your mom said! In spite of RFK jr’s sage advise, I tend to give more weight to the advise of those who have dedicated their lives and careers to a given area, in this case the CDC, Mayo clinic, etc. over someone who has read a few books, things that support their opinion on ‘da innernet’ and then present themselves as having some sort of expertise.
If we took better care of the world, we would not need epidemiological reminders that we share non-denominational membership in a species. Because we don’t, susceptibility is the main means nature uses to communicate the oneness of our humanity—and its vulnerability. Covid is perversely cosmological. When will we learn to read and heed the signs?
Dave, i hope both of you get over this wuickly, and enjoy the enforced quiet of New Years Eve
Is there a song list perchance? I'm having trouble opening the link. Many thanks!
Anon - I just checked the link. It works fine. It should take you to the Mega site where there will be a download link.
Many thanks to all contributors, most especially Buster and Dave, whose shares make it all go better.
MOQChoir - Thanks so much!
Hi Buster,
Sorry, I have deserted you for the last few weeks - glanced at your site a number of times - need to follow up on a number issues.
Many thanks for all the the very hard work and dedication that you apply to running this blog.
Covid - never had it, had all vaccinations available, use a mask in public, try to avoid public transport, do not trust people, no public gatherings. Stopped concert going 20 years ago - the audience was the problem. Stopped all international travel after 50 years of globe trotting. Treat people as inherently unhygienic and ignorant of hygiene. Well - BLEACH. How STUPID!!!!!!
All the best for 2025. Stay safe. Keep away from people. Keep to music, art and nature.
Cheers,
Douglas (UK)
Thanks, Douglas - hope you have a great year!
1st: many thanks for all you share... again ! I may be repeating myself :-) Or it's what's left of the Covid in me. Yep, got it just before Xmas. Still out there. But, thank heaven's , there is music ! Happy new year to you.
Thanks, Ravel - Hope you are better, and have a good new year!
Post a Comment