23 December 2021

Holiday Inn, Plus a New Year's Bonus

I recently heard a CD of the songs from the 1942 film Holiday Inn that sounded awful. It's a famous film and score, so I decided to produce my own version of the set working from the original 78s. I think it shows off Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire to much better effect than the other edition I heard.

In addition to Bing and Fred's contributions, David Federman has left us another holiday gift in the form of a New Year's compilation.

Holiday Inn

A copy of the Holiday Inn 78 set resides in my basement, but it was easier and quicker to make use of the lossless transfers that I found on Internet Archive. The results to me are pleasing, although perhaps predictably "White Christmas" has more surface noise than the other tracks. (I checked all four of the transfers of the 1942 recording that IA had available.) While you may find quieter transfers, this version is well-balanced and satisfying. The sound on the other tracks is generally excellent.

Most of the songs in Irving Berlin's score are themed to the year's holidays, and almost all are delightful. The exception is the "Abraham" number that tried to honor Lincoln's birthday with a blackface routine. The performance in the album is not as objectionable as the film, with its minstrel show scenario, but the record still includes stereotypical language that even then was considered racist.

Most of the songs in the album are sung by Crosby, with Astaire taking over for "I Can't Tell a Lie" and "You're Easy to Dance With." Bing and Fred split "I'll Capture Your Heart," aided by Margaret Lennart, standing in for the film's Virginia Dale. The backings are split between the bands of John Scott Trotter and Bob Crosby.

Bing, Marjorie Reynolds, Fred, and Virginia Dale
I imagine many of you will have a copy of this album, but if you don't, please enjoy this memorable score, but maybe leave "Abraham" out of the playlist.

The download also includes many cleaned-up lobby cards, posters and other ephemera.

A New Year's Compilation

David F. has provided a long and satisfying compilation to greet the New Year: 39 tracks all chosen to represent three incarnations of the compiler: "Daves of New Years Past, Present and Future," he explains. "Hence I call this download, 'An End-Times New Years Carol.'"

As you listen, all three Daves have this New Year's wish for you: "Stay warm; stay safe; stay sound, and, the toughest wish, stay sane. Staying sober remains optional."

19 comments:

Buster said...

Links:

Holiday Inn
https://mega.nz/file/HZ0kHSpY#mufsEWyADLIRb6zWJWlOb5ifFKjH3JtMXlTItv5oqPM

New Year's Carol
https://mega.nz/file/aEk2AIyb#K3oMvqS8GFJZS-hF5T4qonTZ45Tlq8ZoXT271wIKsLE

Rich said...

Thank you, Buster, for this and the many albums you shared with us this year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Rich

Chester said...

Bless you Buster! Please know that your efforts are more appreciated than you'll ever know. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

Buster said...

Merry Christmas, Rich and Chester, and thanks so much for your gracious notes.

gpdlt2000 said...

Merry Christmas, Buster!
And thanks for all the wonderful music you have shared with us!

Buster said...

Merry Christmas to you as well, gpdlt2000!

rockindoc said...

Many thanks. Merry Christmas

Buster said...

Merry Christmas, rockindoc!

snoopy1960 said...

My favorite movie and music, Buster! Thank you so much! Merry Christmas! :)

Buster said...

Hi snoopy - Happy holidays to you, too!

Geordie said...

Merry Christmas and Happy Boxing Day from snowy Vancouver!

Geordie

Buster said...

Happy holidays to you, too, Geordie!

Ernie said...

Thanks for the music, Buster, and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours. I know I'm late, but it's been quite the weekend. :)

moxnix said...

Happy New Year, Buster! Going to check out the New Year's comp, thank you!

Scientist_Timpanist said...

Dear Buster - Thank you very much for your endlessly flowing treasures! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Buster said...

Ernie, moxnix and Scientist_Timpanist - Happy New Year to you all!

Scoredaddy said...

thanks and happy holidays to all

centuri said...

Captivating Irving Berlin !

yoohoo said...

Thank you for Holiday Inn!