10 November 2021

More Tchaikovsky - Ballet Suites from Boult

Sir Adrian Boult
In posting these ballet suites from The Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty, it may seem like I am getting a head start on the holiday season. The timing is a coincidence, however; this particular transfer is in response to a request.

The conductor is Sir Adrian Boult, whose recordings are always welcome on this blog. We have heard him most recently in the music of Ralph Vaughan Williams. Indeed, I've only had Boult here in English music (Elgar, Britten, Arnold, in addition to RVW). 

That narrow focus does Sir Adrian a disservice; he was a distinguished conductor of all types of music, and often programmed the works of Tchaikovsky. Of course, he didn't know the Russian composer, as he did all the English composers mentioned above. Still, their lifetimes did slightly overlap, the conductor being born in 1889, and the composer dying in 1893.

Boult recorded music from The Nutcracker on three occasions; this was his only recording of music from Sleeping Beauty. The set was done with the Royal Philharmonic in 1967. This particular record, may have been, in fact, the first Nutcracker I owned. Many have come (and gone) since then. The Nutcracker music has appeared here as conducted by Arthur Fiedler, Frederick Stock, Sir Thomas Beecham, Paul van Kempen and Fritz Lehmann. You can hear music from Sleeping Beauty led by Nicolai Malko, Constant Lambert and Robert Irving.

The Studio 2 edition
The two suites from Boult and the RPO were first issued in UK Columbia's Studio Two series. That was EMI's answer to Decca's Phase 4. Both were designed to be "sonic spectaculars." At the time, that meant they employed multiple microphones for a close-up view of the proceedings, rather as if you were sitting on Sir Adrian's rostrum and getting in his way.

In practice, whether because of the close-in mikes or knob-twiddling by the engineers, the result was a much-elevated frequency response in the upper mid-range and high frequencies. I've not tinkered with the sonic balance; your tone controls, if you have them, should be at the ready.

The Seraphim edition
This transfer is from the US Seraphim edition of 1971. The record suffers from the usual poor surfaces of the time, which in this case started with drop-outs in the first few measures of The Nutcracker. These were present on two different pressings, so apparently were induced in mastering. I have replaced those opening few seconds with another performance sonically matched to the EMI edition. You may notice a shift in perspective when Boult takes over.

Even with some caveats about the sound, these are buoyant performances that will give much pleasure. Sir Adrian had experience as a ballet conductor early in his career, and his tempos are generally pleasing, although I doubt that any troupe of Russian dancers could keep pace with his accelerando during The Nutcracker's Trepak.

In The Nutcracker, in addition to the selections contained in Op. 71a, Sir Adrian inserts the Pas de deux (No. 14a) before the concluding Waltz of the Flowers.

I have to observe that of the two covers above, I much prefer the graceful ballet image chosen by EMI to the drab mash-up of Peter Max and Petipa offered by Seraphim.

Although this record was originally issued in EMI's Studio 2 series, it was actually taped in Studio 1 at Abbey Road. At the time of the sessions, Abbey Road Studio 2 was the lair of the Beatles. The Fab Ones and the great conductor apparently were not in the building simultaneously, however. Otherwise, Sir Adrian could have conducted "I Am the Walrus," which was on the group's docket at the time. He had the moustache for it.

Sir Adrian in the studio, 1969

16 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/file/yFs3XaTQ#S8KdUwwNiknNPY41PgV6kAnMH23LVyDdUAgSL7ZguJ0

Phillip said...

A lovely surprise. Thanks so much Buster, as always.

Buster said...

And thank you, Philip!

Phillip said...

Listening now...these Sleeping Beauty excerpts are superb. Such energy and panache. I mean, this is not the first music you think of when Sir Adrian's name is mentioned...

Ernie said...

Ha ha ha, he's a walrus! Thanks, Buster!

Buster said...

Philip - Yes, he had a way with this music.

Buster said...

Ernie - FYI, I am the eggman.

Santa Claus said...

Don't forget Gustav Holst as well...

Santa Claus said...

I have been in various hospitals trying to recover from injuries suffered during a fall...last year... That's the main reason that I haven't commented much on your site or Ernie's...

Right now...I feel like I'm 3-4 weeks away from going home for the first time since 10/28/20 to get to at least my normal 90%...

Buster said...

Here's hoping the days pass quickly until you are home!

Ernie said...

I just hope I'm not yellow matter custard dripping from a...well, you know. :(

Ernie said...

Sorry to hear that Santa! Here's hoping you'll be home in time for the big day!

centuri said...

Wonderful !
Thanks Buster for these so lively and contrasted performances. In Sleeping Beauty what a fantastic idea to add to the suite the outstanding Pas de Deux...

centuri said...

I meant in Nutcracker...

Thierry said...

Merci mille fois pour ce très bel enregistrement !
Thierry

Buster said...

Theirry - Merci d'avoir commenté!