02 April 2021

Tor Mann Conducts Rangström and Larsson

Tor Mann
We've had a few vintage recordings conducted by the fine Swedish maestro Tor Mann recently, courtesy of Maris Kristapsons, and today I'm adding one from my own collection. It is the first symphony by Ture Rangström (1884-1947), made just a few years after the composer's death. As a bonus, I've added the Little Suite for Strings by Lars-Erik Larsson (1908-86) in another early Mann recording. 

Rangström - Symphony No. 1, "August Strindberg in Memoriam"

Ture Rangström
Ture Rangström, a Swedish composer, conductor and critic, wrote four symphonies in common with many other works, and was particularly known for his songs. All his symphonies have been issued at least a few times, but I believe this 1951 reading with the Stockholm Concert Society Orchestra was the first recording of Rangström's symphonic work. (The orchestra is today called the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic.)

That's the composer, not Johnny Depp, on the cover
The composer completed the work in 1914, dedicating it to the memory of the author August Strindberg, who had died a few years before. The composer provided a title for each movement - "Ferment," "Legend," "Troll Rune" and "Battle" - but nevertheless disavowed any program for the work. As the titles may suggest, however, it is a dark-hued, atmospheric composition. The work has been described more as a series of romantic tone poems than a true symphony, but however it might be categorized, it is impressive and expressive.

The location of the 1951 recording is not known, although Decca discographer Philip Stuart suggests it may have been the Stockholm Concert Hall. Whatever the locale, the sound was titled toward the bass, making the work seem even more brooding than the composer may have intended. In his Gramophone review, Lionel Salter complained that "the tuba's every note booms through while the strings lack weight." I've adjusted the sound, and the result is much better balanced, if hardly transparent.

As always, Mann conveys the essence of the work, while never drawing attention to his clever baton wizardry. The Stockholm orchestra plays well, although the attacks are not always in sync.

The download includes contemporary reviews from The Gramophone, New York Times, Saturday Review and The New Records.

Lars-Erik Larsson - Little Suite for Strings

Lars-Erik Larsson
The music of Lars-Erik Larsson has appeared here before in the form of his modernist Violin Concerto, in its first recording, with soloist André Gertler. The Little Suite for Strings, an earlier work, is in the neo-classical style.

In this work, Mann leads the Gothenburg Radio Orchestra. As was the case with the Stockholm ensemble, the Gothenburg orchestra was both a radio and concert entity, switching names as appropriate. 

Mann was the conductor of both ensembles at various times. He led the Gothenburg Symphony from 1925-37 - in succession to Rangström, who apparently wasn't much of a conductor, if the orchestra's website is to be believed. Mann conducted the radio orchestra from 1937 until 1939, when he ran afoul of the board.

Larsson published the Little Suite in 1934, and Mann programmed it that same year with the Gothenburg Symphony; it may well have been the work's premiere.

This recording dates from 1941, and despite the falling out with the orchestra's board, was made with the Gothenburg Radio Orchestra. The Swedish Radio issued the work on its own label, Radiotjänst (Radio Service). I remastered the recording from 78s found on Internet Archive, and the sound is good for the time.

Both these recordings are now remastered in ambient stereo.

22 comments:

alfred venison said...

thank you for this encore of larsson. -cheers, a.v.

Buster said...

Hi alfred - please enjoy!

A N Other said...

I'm so grateful for these Tor Mann recordings - many thanks indeed. I used to have the Rangstrom on Decca LXT and am so pleased to be able to listen to it again. All good wishes P

Gabriel said...

Dear Buster,
As an follower and admirer of your blog, I am bothering you with a request. Could you improve the sound of an old recording? Maybe it would be interesting for you: It´s the Sinfonía Elegíaca (1944) by Alberto Ginastera, a withdrawn work which was only performed by none other than Erich Kleiber and the Symphony Orchestra of Chile (1950) and recorded on acetate. I downloaded it a long time ago from the web (Unsung Composers), and it was kindly improved by Bill Anderson. With the elements at its disposal, Bill could not resolve any of its issues, as distortion and variations in volume and pitch. Its restoration may be of interest to you! This is the file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/v6juh2vr4dyo026/Ginastera_Symphony_No_2.flac/file
Thank you very much for your support, a cordial greeting
Gabriel Serafini (Argentina)

zoot said...

many thanks Buster and I'll also be intrigued to hear yours Gabriel.

Buster said...

Gabriel - Very interesting. I'll be glad to listen to it, but Bill Anderson is very good at this kind of thing. We'll see if I can make any improvements.

RecordHunter said...

wonderful post. anything by these composers is greatly appreciated. thank you.
gary

Gabriel said...

Thanks a lot! Gabriel

Buster said...

Thanks, Gary and zoot!

zoot said...

I think off centre, not speed problem.

Ernie said...

I read that as Tor Johnson for a second, and thought this was going to be a very, very interesting post...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tor_Johnson

Buster said...

Ernie - Mann looks as frightening as Tor Johnson. There was a conductor by the name of Thor Johnson, by the way. Was the music director in Cincinnati. I've had him on the site.

Buster said...

Gabriel = This may be an improvement. The biggest problem sounds to me like azimuth error. This is likely from a tape source, so there may have been a tape head alignment problem either in the recording or playback.

https://mega.nz/file/mcVGnZ5J#8fnD0Dh0FAI9fQTwMGcbLs3cc_UO4pWzwQQ9OaGb8ss

centuri said...

Many thanks Buster for these new Tor Mann gems. The Rangström is colorful, captivating music and the more often performed Larsson so delightful !

Buster said...

My pleasure, Jean!

Rich said...

Thank you, Buster.

Rich

Gabriel said...

Thank you very, very much for your kindness. I posted the outcome in Art-Music Forum.
Gabriel

Buster said...

You're welcome, Gabriel.

Boursin said...

That's actually August Strindberg on the cover. His reputation still survives here in the Nordic countries. He is rumoured to have made a cylinder, which nobody has ever found – sort of like the local equivalent of the mythical Buddy Bolden cylinder.

Buster said...

Boursin - Thanks for the correction, but I still think it's Johnny Depp.

Boursin said...

Johnny Depp: The Sturm und Drang Years.

Buster said...

Ambient stereo versions, Apple lossless format:

Rangström - Symphony No. 1
https://mega.nz/file/OcclUIqC#ioDevJF9GktUt73cUl6PJ82MBYyrdPveGgeJRa98JiE

Larsson - Little Serenade for Strings
https://mega.nz/file/CNlRzRQK#H96Hza0MtdvxQuS1plq81flH-3xl1b2s_XkK3KGESKU