26 September 2020

Music for 1940s British Films, Plus Songs for a Change of Seasons

Muir Mathieson
This post supersedes and builds on one from the early days of the blog devoted to music from British films of the 1940s. It now is more than twice as extensive - including 16 examples drawn from the best films composers of the era - Vaughan Williams, Rosza, Addinsell, Mischa Spoliansky, Allan Gray, Bax, Alwyn, Ireland, Charles Williams and Arthur Benjamin - all in vintage performances. These come primarily from two albums, as detailed below.

Also today, to mark the transition between seasons, David F. has provided us with two of his fine compilations.

Summer Turns to Autumn

David has prepared a set of songs both for the waning of summer and for the coming of fall - "A Farewell to Summer" and "Autumn Auguries." These total 60 selections by artists known and obscure, as always well programmed and carefully considered. The downloads (links in comments) include David's thoughts on the music and the seasons.

One of our readers recently called his compilations "brilliant" - and I won't disagree!

'Music for Films' - the Columbia Entré LP

My 2009 post was mainly devoted to an early 50s Columbia Entré LP, Music for Films, which was almost entirely composed of British releases of the 1940s. The various recordings originated with EMI, and included performances by the Queen's Hall Light Orchestra as conducted by Charles Williams or Sidney Torch, and the Philharmonia conducted by Ernest Irving.

Here is what I wrote about these recordings a decade ago, much augmented.

The only well-known item on the record is the one American item, Miklos Rózsa's music from Spellbound, here in a performance led by Charles Williams.

The best-known composer represented is Ralph Vaughan Williams, whose beautiful score for the Loves of Joanna Godden was almost unknown until a more recent re-recording. Here the music is performed by the Philharmonia and Irving, the music director of Ealing Studios.


 Ernest Irving and Ralph Vaughan Williams at a recording session
The little-known composer Allan Gray appears with two very effective items - the memorable prelude from Stairway to Heaven and the theme from This Man Is Mine. These pieces are apparently all that was ever recorded of Gray's film music. The composer left Germany after the ascension of the Nazis, as did Mischa Spoliansky, also represented in the collection.

Mischa Spoliansky

Much of the Entré LP, in fact, is devoted to three pieces by the now little-known (but very talented) Spoliansky. His "A Voice in the Night," from Wanted for Murder, is one of the most effective of the many quasi-romantic film concertos that turned up following the 1941 success of Richard Addinsell's "Warsaw Concerto." The album also contains Spoliansky's music from Idol of Paris and That Dangerous Age.

Lord Berners in repose

Finally, the Entré LP includes the Nicholas Nickleby music from the eccentric composer-novelist-painter Lord Berners (Gerald Hugh Tyrwhitt-Wilson), who wrote concert as well as film music and was a friend of Constant Lambert and William Walton. I don't care for Berners' music, but he cut quite a figure!

'Film Music' - the 1947 Decca-London Album

Like EMI, UK Decca was active in the film music realm during the 1940s. I have included a new transfer of a six-sided 78 album, Film Music, from the London Symphony and Muir Mathieson, the music director for a large number of British films.

Mathieson's set is largely given over to composers better known for concert than film music. It leads off with one of the most beautiful themes ever written by Vaughan Williams - the hymn-like Epilogue from the film 49th Parallel.

Arthur Benjamin
Next is what is possibly Arthur Benjamin's greatest hit - the "Jamaican Rhumba" of 1938, which doesn't seem to be film music at all [thanks Boursin for the tip!]. Benjamin's other popular favorite ishis "Storm Clouds Cantata" (not included here), featured at the climactic moments of both versions of Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Sir Arnold Bax's music for the short film Malta G.C. was one of his few scores for the screen. It concludes with an Elgarian march.

William Alwyn

We return to Jamaica for another well-known use of its music, as captured in William Alwyn's score for The Notorious Gentleman. Neither the Alwyn nor Benjamin pieces were what you would call authentic, but are enjoyable nonetheless. Alwyn was equally renowned for his film and concert scores.

The final composer in this set - John Ireland - only composed for one film, The Overlanders, which involved a cattle drive in Australia. (One wonders how they attracted people into the theaters for that scenario.) Ireland was an uneven composer, and this is not among his best work, although it has enjoyed several recordings, all of which I seem to own.

Bonus Items

Richard Addinsell
The talented Richard Addinsell was not represented on either album above, but I have added two of his finest themes as a bonus. First is the original recording of music from Passionate Friends by the Philharmonia Orchestra and Muir Mathieson, which comes from another Entré album that otherwise does not contain film music. (Parenthetically, I saw David Lean's Passionate Friends a long time ago, and remember it as excellent.)

I also wanted to include perhaps the most popular and influential piece of film scoring from that period - Addinsell's "Warsaw Concerto" from Dangerous Moonlight. Here from the original 78, Muir Mathieson conducts the London Symphony with uncredited pianist Louis Kentner.

As a final bonus, I have included the "Dream of Olwen" music from While I Live, another notable quasi-concerto of the period. The composer was Charles Williams, who conducted several of the works on the Entré LP above. In this recording William Hill-Bowen was the pianist, with George Melachrino leading his orchestra on an HMV 78.

All transfers are from my collection, except for the bonus items, which are remastered from lossless needle-drops from CHARM and the Internet Archive. The sound is good in all cases.

25 comments:

Buster said...

Links:

A Farewell to Summer
https://mega.nz/file/GNkCGAAD#UCR0x_5agRNDL0XiIRH7u5RvJm1lQgW8-TA6Im__ueg

Autumn Auguries
https://mega.nz/file/fEsgSSjZ#RTUVqRFfmAuiL7AOHGaZCoMo6jDC1cez4TSxkaYVgzg

Music for 1940s British Films
https://mega.nz/file/nRtQCKaa#gPaGdYifpGJ7VsnnlkiktCM3Tja70_Q_BJIj8MdvqTI

Lennonka said...

Thank you very much Buster! Beautiful songs!

Buster said...

My pleasure, Lennonka!

Boursin said...

Benjamin's Two Jamaican Pieces (Jamaican Song and Jamaican Rumba) were composed in 1938, as piano duets, but after a relatively extensive search I can find no evidence of there having been any film titled Jamaican Rumba either then or later – or any use of the music in any film whatsoever in 1946–47, for that matter! It may be that the recording was mere filler for the last 78 side; in Britain this material was released as individual 78s under the billing "Incidental Music from British Films" (with non-consecutive catalogue numbers and different couplings) and not as an album.

I even tried both spellings, Jamaican Rumba and Jamaican Rhumba. Benjamin's spelling was "... Rumba", as it's supposed to refer to the Caribbean original and not the North American ballroom dance (known as rumba de salón in Spanish, and more centrally deriving from the son and not the rumba).

Thanks for this new version for my collection, by the way. I love Jamaican Rumba (my favourite is probably Reginald Kell's clarinet version, recorded after consultation with Benjamin), but I don't love it enough to pay a nominal sum for a 78 and then the nominal sum times twenty for postage.

Buster said...

Boursin - Thanks, I don't know where I got the idea it came from a film of that name; I can't find it in my notes! I'll fix the text.

dave_bruce said...

Thanks for these trips to obscure musical places. Your and your colleagues' scholarship is as impressive as it typically proves to be enjoyable.

I happened on Lord Berners by chance when "ripping" some CDs for an elderly music critic of my acquaintance who had several featuring his music. Intrigued but frustrated by the usual Googly stuff, I bought the book "Lord Berners: Composer, Writer, Painter" by composer and pianist Peter Dickinson. It's a super biography, almost poignantly evocative of the "avant-garde chic" of the time. Lambert and Walton did indeed endorse his work but the book tells of another fan, Igor Stravinsky, who not only greatly admired his composing but also became a good friend who delighted in Berners' mischevious humour.

A delight.

Buster said...

Thanks, Dave - I am enthusiastic about the Lord's friends, but his musical charms have always escaped me. He was quite a character, though!

alfred venison said...

thank you very much, again. i love these time capsules you assemble. -cheers, a.v.

Buster said...

Hi alfred - Hope you enjoy the contents!

Phillip said...

Thanks as always Buster - for your generosity, thoughtfulness and engaged commentary. Many thanks to David Federman also for his welcome seasonal gifts.

gpdlt2010 said...

A cinematic tour de force!
Many thanks, Buster!

Buster said...

Hello Phillip and gpdlt2010 - Thanks for your kind comments, as always!

Sky Raven said...

Great film music Buster... I especially appreciate the Addinsell. The Warsaw Concerto is one of my all-time favorites - - and I had never heard the original before. Many thanks, Burt

Buster said...

You're more than welcome, Burt!

Scoredaddy said...

i am a big fan of symphonic film music so BIG thanks to you, Buster

A N Other said...

Another super collection for which many thanks indeed. All good wishes to you, P

A N Other said...

There's a 1946 documentary film, The Modern Age, for which Arthur Benjamin provided music in segment 14, Jamaica Problem.... not having seen the film I can't say whether Jamaican Rhumba appears but it does seem possible:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0071280/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

centuri said...

This is a quite interesting compilation of film music featuring slso some rarities; for instance so nice to hear more than the Warsaw Cto by Addinsell ! Thx as always dear Buster.

Buster said...

We know he wrote the piece in 1938 as a piano duet, then arranged it for other forces. It was popular so it could well be that it appeared in that documentary, which may have been the stimulus for the Mathieson recording. Thanks for the info!

Buster said...

Thanks again for all the comments, everyone!

Charlot said...

Thanks for the Gray, Adinsell, Vaughn Williams, Spoliansky, Alwyn, Charles Williams, Ireland, and Benjamin. For the Berners, not so much.

Sir Thomas Beecham, Bart. performed a suite from Berners' ballet score "The Triumph of Neptune" frequently and recorded it commercially twice, with the LPO and later with the Philadelphia Symphony. I heard both of these somewhere along the line and there is also a live version with the RPO floating around which I haven't heard.

What I could not retain was anything at all about the music from either recording.

Determined to correct any possible error on my part, I found a much more modern recording in stereo with Barry Wordsworth and the Royal Liverpool PO on YouTube. The sound is, of course, far better. From this recording it is possible to note that Berners' orchestration is brilliant. He obviously knew his Rimsky and Ravel.

Unfortunately, the underlying material is just as unmemorable as before. It slips out of my brain instantaneously. Have you seen the film "Memento?" It is something like that but I am not going to tattoo the score on my chest in a desperate attempt to recall it the next day.

His score for Nicholas Nickleby, a 1940's movie I have seen, is appropriate enough in context but not particularly striking on its own.

The Wordsworth album cover is, evidently, one of Berners' paintings, an odd self-portrait with dead fish. Again, technically accomplished but he was no Salvador Dalí, let alone a René Magritte.

I can't claim to have read any of his novels but the reports are not promising.

I conclude that Berners' life achievement was appearing as a minor comic diversion in the biographies of his contemporaries. That is a legitimate claim to fame, I admit.

So, Mr. Smarty Pants, what *do* you find memorable?

Honestly, almost all of it but Berners and Ireland, though Ireland is great elsewhere.

The high points, IMHO, would be Gray from "A Matter of Life and Death." A great film, BTW, with David Nevin at his best and Kim Hunter, even!

The Warsaw Concerto, too. Probably more Grieg than Polish and certainly not Fauxmanifnoff. (No "Dies Irae," no Rach.)

Tangent: When non-musicians pretend to play the piano, the violin, the cello, whatever, it is always fake. Always.

Charlot said...

I should also add, as a high point, the RVW.

Buster said...

Charlot - Yes, I completely agree about Berners and Ireland. And I am familiar with the Berners painting you mention - it is less surreal than peculiar.

I have seen "A Matter of Life and Death" - it really is a terrific film.

One good example of an actor unconvincingly playing the piano is Anton Walbrook performing the "Warsaw Concerto" - a photo is in the download.

Charlot said...

It would not be an authentic comment from me if it didn't contain at least one spectacularly dumb typo. The star of "A Matter of Life and Death" is David Niven.

David Nevin? I don't know him.

Charlot said...

Thank you for this detailed information on the Jamaican Rumba.

It is a catchy little piece and I have no idea when I first heard it. Probably before I could talk or eat solid food. I didn't even know what it was called or who wrote it until I was well into my forties.