Longtime friend of the blog Centuri recently mentioned a notable series of recordings from the ORTF (the
Office de Radiodiffusion-Télévision Française), made some years ago. I have several of these LPs, so I decided to transfer this old favorite of mine, which came out in Barclay's Inédits ORTF series in 1971. The LP introduced me to several of Gabriel Fauré's less often heard orchestral works. It also includes one of his most famous compositions, the
Pavane, here presented in the seldom-performed choral version.
The ORTF maintained any number of ensembles, including the Orchestre National, Orchestre Philharmonique, Orchestre Lyrique and the Orchestre de Chambre. This LP comes from the Orchestre de Chambre, which has not recorded extensively, but its role has been important, per Centuri. All
its programs included premieres or unknown works, in particular
under its principal conductor, André Girard, Centuri's first
conducting teacher.
 |
| Antonio de Almeida |
Leading the ensemble here is the French conductor Antonio de Almeida (1928-97), who himself was known for his devotion to unusual repertoire. For this LP he programmed incidental music for the play
Caligula, written by Alexandre Dumas fils, here recorded for the first time complete. Also included is Fauré's music for
Shylock, which includes two songs performed by the distinguished tenor Michel Sénéchal (1927-98). Finally, de Almeida leads the first recording of the choral
Madrigal to a text by Armand Silvestre.
 |
| Michel Sénéchal |
I find these works irresistible. Since the record came out 50 years ago, there have been a few integral recordings of Fauré's orchestral works but none have surpassed these in my affections. The composer has long been known more for his songs, chamber music and the oft-recorded Requiem, but his compositions for orchestra are very much worth your while.
The performances and sound are good, although the chamber orchestra does not have the depth of string tone that would be ideal for some of the music. The download includes a 1976 interview with de Almeida from
Stereo Review.
19 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/file/aRNFmSoJ#P9gRjfnbL8dRRLGVmcQ4ev7FNzsZQMTJCNdM9k2bG-0
Beautiful. I love Fauré, My favorites Requiem & Cantique De Jean Racine. Never seen this album. A real gem. Thanks so much.
You're welcome, Ron!
This is a very interesting album,well-paced by the sadly short-lived de Almeida.
I have to admit that the choral version of the Pavane is, for me, less effective than the purely instrumental version. The words, though by Verlaine, no less, seem tacked-on and superfluous to the music. And not particularly good on their own, either.
But the conductor makes the best possible case for it. Perhaps the somewhat recessed chorus makes it easier for me to ignore it.
I think I have heard the Shylock suite before but the rest was completely unknown to me.
It is not hard to find the "paroles" to the Pavane but I've had no luck searching for the other material on the internet. Does anybody know where they might be found?
Anyhow, thanks again, Buster, for an ear-opening experience.
Charlot - These might be helpful:
Madrigal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madrigal_(Faur%C3%A9)
Caligula and Shylock (booklet from Sony release The Secret Faure)
https://mega.nz/file/zNUCzC5S#tFaZJO0O0K-6jVFaZ_mgnDyeLK149S3O1hznXG8f-dw
Nice post Buster... very enjoyable listen. I had not heard any of the pieces before except the Pavane (which I prefer in the choral version). Thanks for this. Burt
Burt - Happy you enjoyed it. Thanks for writing!
I am infinitely obliged to you, as usual. I notice that Testament has a recording of the Shylock suite with Inghelbrecht on the podium and Henri Legay as the tenor soloist. Sight-unheard, it is probably very good, though in mono, I think. There is also a much later recording with Plasson conducting and Gedda singing. I can't make comparisons but Sénéchal is ideal in this recording.
I can well understand why it is not often performed or recorded. Besides the name "Shylock," which inevitably evokes bad associations, you need a conductor, a tenor, and a choir all thoroughly familiar with the French language or the whole thing collapses. This recording fulfills all of those requirements and I am glad to have heard it.
Fauré had the gift of writing haunting music.
Incidentally (and to this day) recordings by Caruso of songs by Jean-Baptise Faure (no accent) are identified as having been written by Fauré. Faure was a celebrated baritone and an OK composer but not to be confused with Fauré, except always.
Thanks a million dear Buster for this rare LP.
It is part of a fantastic collection "Inédits ORTF" , featuring mainly pieces none or seldom recorded before.
Most of these treasures has not been reissued on CD format.
The Orchestre de Chambre existed until 1975 when ORTF became Radio France.
Its programmation, especially under its Principal Conductor André Girard (who was my first conducting teacher) was quite unusual at this time, mixing baroque to contemporary and putting the stress on unknown works.
Many programs can be heard on INA website...
In 1976 most of its musicians joined the 'Nouvel Orchestre Philharmonique' (an extension of the Orchestre Philharmonique created in 1937 and which changed name several times... which is a totally different symphonic formation from Orchestre National also based in ORTF...).
This Fauré LP is great. Thx again.
Charlot - I don't think I have that Inghelbrecht record, although I have his Requiem LP. I do have the Plasson LP set as well.
centuri - I have some of the other items in the Inédits series. The Vierne symphony led by Tzipine came to hand recently.
Je n'ai jamais entendu ces pièces mieux interprétées! C'est miraculeux de clarté, et de bon goût. Merci de nous donner accès à ces trésors!
Pouvez-vous partager avec nous tous cette version ( pour moi inconnue ) de la symphonie de Vierne? Celle dirigée par Tzipine et dont vous nous donnez le goût...
Merci, jamori! Je vais préparer le Vierne.
Charlot - Jean-Baptiste Faure has actually appeared on this blog. He wrote "The Palms," which in a 1913 Harry Macdonough recording was part of the recent Buster's Easter Bouquet of Hits.
I owned this LP many years ago and am delighted to hear it again. Thanks so much Buster. By the way, I recall some of the Shylock music (in a different performance) turning up on an HMV LP of the 60s dedicated to music inspired by Shakespeare, entitled "Touches of Sweet Harmony."
more faure, thank you again. cheers, a.v.
My pleasure, alfred!
Post a Comment