Note the punctuation above. You need not believe in Samuel Barber or Leroy Anderson. But we do implore you to believe in Spring. The season has come, but perhaps not the state of mind. If that's the case, then I suggest you listen to David Federman's latest compilation, which has the new season as a theme, and is just the tonic for troubling times.
David's "You Must Believe in Spring" includes 32 songs on the subject of the season and renewal, including a version of the eponymous song from the wonderful Sue Raney. As David writes, "Never has Spring been more needed and the belief in it more important." The link to David's compilation is in the comments to this post.
As for Samuel Barber and Leroy Anderson, please see the following notes.
Barber Conducts Barber
The American composer Samuel Barber conducted three LPs worth of his own music for English Decca on December 11-13, 1950 - his later-suppressed Second Symphony, the Cello Concerto with Zara Nelsova, and his ballet suite, "Medea."
Years ago I transferred both the symphony and "Medea" for this blog. I wasn't happy with the sound of the symphony transfer, so I recently redid it in response to a request. Here is a link to the original post, where the download link is in the comments, as usual.
The "Medea" transfer is more recent, and didn't require a new transfer. But it did benefit from some remastering and sounds better than ever. Please go to the original post for more information and the link.
Leroy Anderson
Those of you who didn't plumb the fathomless depths of my St. Patrick's Day post may have missed the fact that I am offering remastered version of two notable Leroy Anderson records.
The first is a vintage Boston Pops/Arthur Fiedler compilation of works that Anderson wrote for that fine ensemble, including definitive performances of eight superb items, including "Sleigh Ride," "Fiddle Faddle" and two of my own favorites, "Serenata" and "Belle of the Ball." I added a bonus on the form of "The Syncopated Clock."
The second is Anderson's own recording of his "Irish Suite," which begins with a version of "Irish Washerwoman," a tune that was prominent in my "Let's Sing a Quasi-Irish Song with Buster" compilation.
Both of these are available via this post.
Sorry about the interruption in posting. I developed pneumonia and ended up in the hospital. Now I am back and feeling better.
Stay well, everyone!
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
1 month ago



32 comments:
Link to "You Must Believe in Spring":
https://mega.nz/#!idlRkRAb!yjkIKqv6-XaTbQw5uUdT2a0a_9WozH_9evjAhBhv3Z4
pneumonia?!? hospital?!? Those are not word sI want hear in reference to you Buster! Was it a matter of CoVid19 or something else? Of course, given the scarcity of tests at this point, unless you qualify, how would you know? I'm told they'll be plenty of tests for anyone who wants one in a few weeks, but that's what we were told a few weeks ago. In any event, I'm glad you're out and back among us, distanced as we are these days. Staying at home isn't so bad when you have music like this to look forward to, much appreciated.
rev.b - Thanks for the kind words, rev. b! This was not COVID-19 (I was tested for it.) It was rather a bronchitis-pneumonia inflection that has been percolating in my lungs since late December, and that outpatient treatment could not cure. So I ended up in the hospital, reluctantly. I do feel better, but we'll see how it goes.
Thanks, Buster! Now that i am back on good terms with mega.nz, the social distancing is bearable.
Please take of yourself.
Holy cow, Buster! I'm glad you're on the mend during these odd times in which we live. Thanks for these.
So glad to hear you have emerged from your trials in one piece! Sorry to say, however, neither of the Barber links from 2014 seem to work.
Buster, I was worried about your long absence and it turns out I wasn't wrong. I'm so glad to learn that you are all right, or at least better.
Jerry
Oh, you didn't tell me you were in the hospital! Take care, my friend, don't push it. These are dangerous times. Hope you are all better now and relaxing in quarantine!
Dearest Buster,
Hope you feel definitely better and will completely recover asap!
I am so glad to see this morning your 'new' post, which means that you are fine and doing alright. Take care!
Buster: can't seem to find the Mega links.Mega says they are gone.
Sorry, I meant to replace those links, but the hospitalization must have intervened. The new links are in place now.
Thanks for all the well-wishes, folks. Very much appreciated!
I've added new links to both the Barber posts. They should work now.
The barber links are both working now. Thanks for fixing that. The "Spring" upload was lots of fun... great work on that. Take care. SR
Thanks, SR - all credit on the Spring compilation goes to David F.
I do hope you're well mended now! I was so sorry to hear your news. Take it easy!
All good wishes
Peter
I wondered if you were okay when you were not posting. I'm glad that you got through the pneumonia and that it wasn't COVID-19. Best wishes for a full and complete recovery.
Thanks so much, folks - your expressions of concern and support mean more than you know.
Buster, I'm glad to learn that you are on your way back to health.
Dear Buster, so relieved to learn that you are all right! That must have been scary... look after yourself, and please don't overdo it. Very best wishes, Nick
Thanks for writing, classicalduck!
Hi Nick, and thanks for the well-wishes. So much appreciated!
thanks! Stay well, Buster!!
Many thanks!
Pneumonia in any context is frightening. My wife's bout of it led to hospitalization and major surgery ten years ago. She has been fine ever since--sans 1/4 of her colon, her ovaries, and a pendulum-like cyst the size of a grapefruit that was handing from her liver. It was only this year that her surgeon told her that the cysts he removed them we're cancerous. Talk about Spring cleaning! In any case, I was thinking of your recovery when I prepared the following mix.
THERE'LL BE ANOTHER SPRING: BEATITUDES OF INSOMNIA.
For the first time ever it is propitious and profitable to make much ado about nothing. Even the New York Times is espousing the health benefits of doing so. Put your insomnia to work for you.
So Private Federman is reporting for duty. I’ve brought a sequel Spring music mix that tries to enumerate the many benefits of global quarantine. There is a synergy to be harnessed from plague-induced isolation and idleness. We share a contemplative leisure that few of us ever had time for individually and now find forced upon us collectively. What better time to seize the many days allotted to us for beauty rather than boredom? See these songs as beatitudes of insomnia.
So let’s journey into national stay-at-home spring fever where many of us elderly are alone singly or together with spouses. Let’s rediscover old pastimes and renew old vowels. Let’s sit indoors and discover the joyous depths of reverie and recollection. Let’s bring on the biggest bouts of Spring Fever in our lives.
As you will hear, I’ve found lots of advice and suggestions from the prewar era, but have gone as forward as I could. This mix is named after a song by Peggy Lee, “There’ll Be Another Spring,” written for her 1959 album with George Shearing’s Quintet.
I love everything you’ll find here but I call special attention to two Scott Joplin rags—the first, “Wall Street Rag,” written, the sheet music explains, to console America during the brief but devastating market crash of October 1907; this is followed “Solace.” Richard Dowling is the pianist and these are easily the best versions of these compositions I have ever heard.
https://we.tl/t-dhmizBZU30
Wonderful, David! Thanks so much. So glad your wife is well and hoping you are, too.
O my. Good to hear that you are recovering. When I hear about lungs I immediately stand up straight. I have a mild form of COPD so I have to be very careful about corona. Considering my age too nI have been in isolation for 3 weeks. But good to see and hear that you are on the mend. Thanks for the music.
Thank you, Ron - take care!
Hey Buster, my apologies...when I thanked you for these, (as you saw) I did so on the 2 threads associated each link. I never even noticed this series of comments. I never told you how sorry I was to learn how sick you'd been - because I didn't see it til now. I came back to this thread to re-read your notes on Barber, and that's when I got the whole story. In any case, so relieved you're feeling better. It seems typical of your generosity that one of the first things you do after being sick is share beautiful music with your friends on this blog. So thanks once more and take good care of yourself.
I'm glad you've recovered, Buster! Thanks for sharing so much wonderful music.
Thanks so much Buster and David for this bountiful share - and great news that you are feeling well Buster.
Post a Comment