- His astonishing early jazz recordings from 1947-50, made while he was still a teenager.
- His wonderfully eclectic score for one of the three segments in Gene Kelly's film, Invitation to the Dance. Previn manages to wedge in echoes of Britten, Khachaturian, Gershwin, Kenton, blues piano, salon music, mood music and much more.
- A set of songs written with his then-wife, Dory Langdon Previn, and performed by the superb jazz duo, Jackie and Roy.
- His pop success, the Secret Songs for Young Lovers LP, with its hit song, "Like Young," all featuring his piano and backing by David Rose.
For some reason, I've never featured Previn in the classical repertoire, and now, sadly, will need to do so posthumously.
![]() |
| Previn in 1961 |
Rather than sticking to the standard repertoire, Previn took on three works by living composers dating from the preceding 25 years - Paul Hindemith's Piano Sonata No. 3 from 1936, Samuel Barber's Excursions from 1944, and Frank Martin's Prelude No. 7 from 1948.
Previn plays these as naturally as he did the Art Tatum-like pieces that he recorded for RCA Victor a decade earlier. The Hindemith is something of a neo-baroque work. Barber's Excursions are his closest approach to writing in the Americana style that was popular in the 1940s. Surprisingly, Previn seems a little too chaste in his approach to this music. Martin's music is not to my taste, and this dour Prelude did little to change my mind.
The Hindemith was recorded on November 3, 1960; the Barber and Martin on November 29, 1960, all at Radio Recorders, Hollywood. While the LP was issued in stereo, this transfer is from my mono copy. The sound is good, though. I'm not sure what the circuit board graphic on the cover is supposed to represent.
Much or all of Previn's orchestral output has been reissued. I'll have to search around to see if I can locate something in my collection that isn't in print.
Follow @BusterBig10Inch



14 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!jZcjwayA!CSXIJMgmcUTo_Pw6ICf2qBadfC63qTiORN8dqLl3TGE
Thank you, Buster.
Rich
Previn was an amazing and multi-faceted musician.
Missing him.
Thanks a lot for this rare recording !
"Plays Harry Warren" - Victor LPM 3002 and
"Mad About The Boy" - Camden CAL 406 would be great for starters; neither made it to CD!
A popular classical musician loved by all, not just by the classical music lovers - unfortunately often shunned by musical snobs for making classical music too accessible.
Sorely missed already.
Thankfully I have many recordings by him - especially prized are the complete Vaughn Williams symphonies.
Many thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Douglas (UK)
Thanks for the comments, all!
Nigel - I have the Mad about the Boy LP, but not the Harry Warren. The former is a compilation selected from his early singles, most of which were included in my previous upload. I'll probably transfer the remaining items from that LP and one other Camden fairly soon.
Andre Previn and then-wife Mia Farrow did a Peter and the Wolf in the late 60s or early 70s that I've never found in print. Outside the time period of your blog though.
Brian - It is a little late for me, but in any case, I don't have the album.
I found a Peter And The Wolf this weekend, narrated by Lorne Greene. Does that count for anything? :)
Thanks, Buster. Previn was certainly eclectic, jumping all over the musical mad, and owning just about everything he tried. His name shows up in all sorts of odd places.
I think I got that one from some blog already. I'm just remembering my late brother's copying it to a cassette for me 40 years ago!
Hi Buster
Greetings from France to thank you for your marvelous blog. It'a jewel.
thank yu so much.
Thanks, Buster!
Post a Comment