The album includes themes that Bernstein composed for the 1958-59 season of the General Electric Theater. As the cover above tells us, Ronald Reagan, later to become US President, was the host and "program supervisor" for the series - and apparently owned a hunk of it. The show was successful, running for nearly a decade on TV.
| Bernstein in the studio, circa late 1950s |
But back to the music, which is highly effective, as usual with Bernstein, a true master. I transferred this record many years ago for sharing on another forum. I recently revisited the files and redid the sound for posting here.
The LP is strongly recommended if you like film music.



14 comments:
i'm a Bernstein fan so BIG thanks for this!
Anything from Elmer Bernstein is always welcome. Thanks Buster.
Hi folks - Some quick reactions to this one! You are welcome!
Many thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Douglas (UK)
Pretty cool, never seen this one. I do have something by the GE Transcription Orchestra or something that features Reagan on the cover in a similar pose. Maybe it's a stock photo. :)
This is exciting -- never came across this one! I do admire the work of Mr. Bernstein (STEEN) and will be exploring this with pleasure.
Hi all - thanks for the comments!
Ernie - Sounds interesting. Is it a promo?
JAC - There are a few other BernSTEENs on the blog, but you probably have seen those.
This is truly a classic and thanks for posting this as well as al of your many great recording posts. Much appreciated.
team464 - My pleasure!
A big thank you. Love Bernstein's scores and knew nothing about this. Classic. Also a huge thank you to 8H for posting all those marvelous LP's & to you for gathering them all together. I have spent several days downloading almost all of them. I had so many of them so long ago. Can't wait to wallow in nostalgia with these wonderful recordings for days, unless my wife wants me to pay attention to here. Can you imagine? LOL. Thanks again, very appreciated.
Gary
Thank you Buster. I shall give it a listen, as Bernstein has composed some of my favorite film scores.
Many thanks Buster for that recording.
Together with Rozsa, Hermann, Rota, Morricone....among others of the older generation...Elmer Bernstein is a major composer for film music.
Late to the party but thanks so much for this LP Buster
Elmer Bernstein - Themes from the General Electric Theater (remastered)
https://mega.nz/file/XRNhwLxK#EEY04HHoKnAXaPm2T6f3tZLzjKmhSCvW0_Ofh3cGyJU
Post a Comment