17 January 2018

Just One More Dance with Les Elgart


My recent post devoted to an obscure Larry Elgart record elicited a plea for something by Larry's bandleading brother, Les. So here we have Les's second Columbia LP, Just One More Dance, from 1954.

Back then, the remaining big bands competed for recognition among the college set, as we have seen with releases by Les Brown, Eliot Lawrence, Ralph Flanagan and others. Les Elgart claimed the title of "America's Prom Favorite," which may have been overstating things, but he was indeed popular.

Les Elgart

This LP shows why, with its smooth sound and its slick arrangements by Charles Albertine, who also did the charts for the previously mentioned Larry Elgart album.


If you are seeking jazz heat, you will find little of that here. Solos are few, although the alto sax you occasionally hear is probably the sound of brother Larry. Les played the trumpet, or at least he toted it around for photos. He did not have the reputation as an instrumentalist that Larry achieved.

This transfer of Just One More Dance is from the 12-inch version of the LP, which also exists in 10-inch form with the same cover but minus "When Day Is Done," "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire," "Night and Day" and "Stardust." There also is a double-EP edition, and these various permutations can be found with pink, green and blue covers, in addition to the brown above. (Collect 'em all!)

My near-mint pressing was thin sounding, but the sonics have come around nicely after some adjustments.

Note (May 2025): this has now been remastered in ambient stereo.


At Duke University, 1956

17 comments:

David Federman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David Federman said...

For whatever it's worth, I am pleading for more Les Elgart albums. In the mean time, thanks for this one. Chris Albertine deserves a lot more credit and praise as an arranger. He learned much in terms of subtlety, I think, from the Jimmie Lunceford band. Again, thanks!

Scoredaddy said...

thanks for this

Ernie said...

While we're talking about Charles Albertine, how about some Three Suns? ;)

Buster said...

Ernie - I have most of their LPs. Which goes to show that I will buy most anything.

David Federman said...

Thank God, you bought "most anything" and thank Him also for hoarding it. By the way, there is no need to apologize for buying the Three Suns. I just hope you were as "wasteful" with you dollars when it came to Les Elgart. One last thing, will you ever post more Peggy Glanville Hicks or other composers MGM Records paid attention to in the 1950s? Meanwhile, all the gratitude I can spare.

Buster said...

Thanks, David - My basement has unplumbed depths of odd items, the Three Suns being the least of the strange specimens. I do plan to produce more from Peggy Glanville-Hicks and her MGM associates, yes.

centuri said...

Thanks Buster for that so subtle album.

Tchelitchew said...

The album was removed by MediaFire. Is it possible to repost?

Lockhart said...

I notice the very first comment was begging for More Les.

Buster said...

Alternative link:

http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/oVqg3WoV/file.html

David Federman said...

That's because Les is More.

musicman1979 said...

Don't know if you have it in your collection, but a good Les Elgart record to post here would be The Band of the Year album, which has never been reissued on CD despite the presence of "Bandstand Boogie" on it. It could also be paired with Les' 10" inch House Party LP Prom Date. Just a suggestion.

Buster said...

musicman - I may have the Band of the Year LP; not sure about the other.

musicman1979 said...

Thanks! I have both in my collection.

Bryan said...

Another fine album to enjoy.
All these albums bring back good memories, mostly though my father.

Buster said...

Glad to hear it!