MacRae joined the Capitol rolls in 1947, after leaving the foundering Musicraft label and following a brief stop-over on Apollo. (The majority of his Musicraft sides are available via this 2013 post.) The 26-year-old singer was still a year away from his first film role and his eventual popularity as a romantic foil for Doris Day and later as the leads in the movie adaptations of the Rodgers and Hammerstein mega-musicals Oklahoma! and Carousel.
The early efforts in this collection continue to betray MacRae's influences - Buddy Clark on "Down the Old Ox Road" and Tony Martin on "Stranger in Paradise." One of the first recordings here - "Twenty-Four Hours of Sunshine" - has what sounds like a half-hearted Jolson imitation. (Or is it supposed to be someone else?) That tune was covered by any number of artists in 1949, as was its flip side, "The Wedding of Lili Marlene" (which is dreary in every version I've encountered).
![]() |
| 1953 ad |
As for the M-G-M single, I have a confession. It is actually an old Musicraft master that M-G-M licensed and later included in a 10-inch MacRae LP that I have never encountered.
The bandleaders here include Frank DeVol, Van Alexander, Carmen Dragon, Carlyle Hall, Paul Weston, Axel Stordahl and Walter Gross.
All transfers are from original 78s. The Capitols originated in a radio station collection. The sound is good.
![]() |
| Capitol royalty: (standing) Frank Sinatra, Danny Kaye, Gordon MacRae, Nat Cole; (seated) label co-founder Glenn Wallichs, Dean Martin, Stan Freberg |





8 comments:
Link (Apple lossless):
https://www.mediafire.com/?uyuiqahbnmh5w4h
Thank you Buster for these Gordon MacRae singles. I am a huge fan and love his voice. I am grateful to be able to add these to my collection (most of which is gratefully due to your generosity). Thank you for delighting me each time I visit your blog.
John - You are very welcome. Thanks for your note!
Terrific music - thanks, Mister Buster!
flurb - You're welcome!
excellent, thanks!
I love GM, especially before he "went Hollywood." His radio shows were the best.
Thanks, Buster.
All I can say is...WOW!!!!
Post a Comment