02 May 2016

Athena

This post of the soundtrack to Athena was inspired by nothing more profound than me watching the film the other day, and deciding to transfer the record for my own amusement. (I believe I have an expanded soundtrack CD around here someplace, but who knows where that is.)

Athena was a most peculiar movie, with Louis Calhern as the patriarch of a physical culture sect that included his daughters Jane Powell and Debbie Reynolds as well as (among others) future sword-and-sandal stalwart Steve Reeves. This was certainly the only musical from Hollywood's heyday that featured a body-building contest as part of the plot.

The film provides love interests for Reynolds and Powell in the persons of crooner Vic Damone (who really does wear that set of carmine-colored tails in the movie) and the dour Edmund Purdom, who dumps Linda Christian for a somewhat-addled Powell during the proceedings. Purdom had much better chemistry with Christian, to the point of later marrying her in real life.

Powell and Reynolds were among Hollywood's most charming commodities and the film is fun to watch - and listen to, with its fine score from the distinguished Hugh Martin and Ralph Blane. The studio may not have thought much of the tunes, however, for they brought back the team's "The Boy [here, Girl] Next Door" from Meet Me in St. Louis for an encore. I find it most enjoyable, with wonderfully relaxed and effective performances of the gorgeous "Love Can Change the Stars" and "Venezia" from Damone, and the terrific "Imagine" from Damone and Reynolds. On the other hand, Powell's waltz feature "Vocalize" was surely inspired by her breakthrough performance of "It's a Most Unusual Day" in A Date with Judy. And Reynolds's hectic "I Never Felt Better" is reminiscent of "I Cain't Say No" from Oklahoma!

Lobby card
The program concludes with Powell's version of "Chacun le sait" from Donizetti's La Fille du Regiment. In truth, she is a little squally, and the track has several clumsy splices.

For some reason, M-G-M ceded rights to the soundtrack to Mercury, which provided its usual gravelly pressings for this 1954 10-inch LP. The sound is perfectly fine, nonetheless.

Note (June 2024): I have much improved the sound for this version, removing the high frequency glare and mastering it in ambient stereo.

18 comments:

Buster said...

Links (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/#!zM1lnL7D!gczu484AdPnkFsrkzmMjlSZ8_5o8-BwQ7kJJg6furq8

http://www.mediafire.com/download/28sw42cd6fog805/Athena_%28OST%29.zip

RonH said...

Thanks Buster. A fine start of the day. It's 9.00 AM here.

RonH said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ernie said...

A return to an actual 10" record? Nice. Never seen this one, though I did stumble across a copy of your recent Pan Am share last week. Funny how such things appear... Thanks for the share!

Buster said...

Ron - You're in Western Europe?

Ernie - I like to change things up every once in a while.

Andrew said...

mille grazie.

brian said...

cool cool!

earlybird said...

As always, Thanks for another soundtrack!

Mitch

saintrussell said...

Mercury lent their artist Vic Damone to M-G-M for the "Deep in My Heart" soundtrack, and they got this one in return. ("Diskers Glow With Lend-Lease Spirit" by June Bundy, Billboard, Nov. 20, 1954.)

Buster said...

Thanks for the notes, everyone.

saintrussell - Thanks! That makes sense.

SwingKing said...

Many thanks, Buster. I've got the movie around here, but would enjoy having just the soundtrack.

Tom said...

Love the music much more than the film as a whole.

Jon said...

Thanks very much!

Paul said...

Thank you for all your posts. Can someone post Julius LaRosa in remembrance of him?

Buster said...

Paul - I have lots of LaRosa records. Tried to find them the other day and could not. I will look again.

denyspr said...

Hi, it´s me, Denys...
Now you got your gift.

your remastered version of Athena, selected directly from the film, copy stereo fake as usual that time. Never been processed to normal stereo.
link:
https://mega.nz/#!FU5XBKrI!DISoGrI4dF1YkaNm3wVT8sMfqKyVgZEDrbLQ1PqbgYc

copy will last only one month, my account there is too full, I need to empty soon.

Hugs and enjoy too much, the sound is 24-Bit
48000 Hz.crystal clear.

Denys P.R.
============

Buster said...

Thank you, Denys - that link, however, is to the Vic Damone LP.

denyspr said...

Yes, this link is your lp (Athena 1954 8 songs, Mercury) now remastered from the film. I realized that song no 4 (with Vic Damone) is not on film, this is a version to public.

the order of the songs is different from yours because I put them like appear on the back cover text.

Hugs

Denys P.R.
===========================