06 September 2015

Ania Dorfmann in Chopin and Beethoven



Having recently posted two Chopin collections from Maryla Jonas, I thought I might present a contrasting approach to the composer from a Jonas contemporary, Ania Dorfmann, via her collection of waltzes issued on RCA Victor’s Bluebird budget label.

Like Jonas, Dorfmann did not enjoy an extensive recording career. Most of her records were made for RCA, although the Russian-born pianist did set down some items for EMI before coming to the US permanently in 1938.

You can hear the differing approaches of Jonas and Dorfmann in their renditions of Chopin’s Waltz No. 13:



The sense of unease lurking in Jonas’ playing is largely absent from the Dorfmann track. The latter artist was known for the elegance and sheen of her pianism, admirable qualities in full display throughout her collection of Chopin waltzes, which date from 1953 sessions at New York’s Town Hall.

As a bonus, I have also uploaded Dorfmann’s 1945 recording of Beethoven’s first concerto, with Toscanini and the NBC Symphony. While there is some end-of-side distortion on my pressing, the overall sound may be among the best ever afforded Toscanini, coming from Carnegie Hall rather than the cramped Studio 8-H. The more resonant sound may be one reason why the result seems less relentless than many of the maestro’s recorded output. Of course, many critics adored Toscanini in hard-driving mode, and this particular rendition has been criticized for being bland!

Dorfmann went on to record Mendelssohn, Grieg and others for RCA before joining the Juilliard faculty. I also have her Schumann-Tchaikovsky collection and hope to transfer it before too long.

15 comments:

Buster said...

Links (Apple lossless):

Chopin - Waltzes

https://mega.nz/#!GZMgQLjZ!0Zrw9rrzYNfXMPCYx1ZtQ9rrf9xjo7_dQUfw3n31LIQ

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3zoq2spaktxou8b/Chopin_-_Waltzes_%28Dorfmann%29.zip

Beethoven - Piano Concerto No. 1

https://mega.nz/#!TA80HDxY!vct5G-IvEVTycH5NdwU7APvh5TpoQeEx80cEGups3w4

http://www.mediafire.com/download/umf7zqvwgylbd9x/Beethoven_-_Piano_Concerto_No_1_%28Dorfmann%2C_NBC-Toscanini%29.zip

diletanti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
diletanti said...

Enormously grateful for Dorfman's recordings! could not imagine that any of them still exist.
Thank you.

alfred venison said...

thank you. i like listening to your various chopin interpreters. cheers, a.v.

Nick said...

Thank you very much indeed! Am enjoying Waltzes right now and looking forward to the Beethoven!

Best wishes,

Grumpy

Muff Diver said...


I'm very grateful for all your symphonies, Buster. Thank you!

diletanti said...

Do you by any chance know what her maiden name was?

Buster said...

diletanti - I thought I had come across the name in my research, but now I can't find it. Sorry!

diletanti said...

Pity. If you come across it again, let me know please! :)
Thanks!

Huguenot said...

The Dorfmann material is terrific! If you come across it, transferring Dorfmann's Beethoven sonatas (Moonlight and Pathetique) on RCA Bluebird would be wonderful. Huge numbers of people were introduced to classical music through these mid-price LPs.

Buster said...

Huguenot - I don't have the sonatas, alas, but am always on the prowl. I myself was introduced to classical music through the slightly later reprint series - Victrola, etc.

Steve Waldee said...

Buster, if I'm not mistaken, this Dorfmann LvB First Concerto was MY first experience with the piece, just under sixty years ago! Even back then, I thought it was a bit hectic; soon I found newer performances that I felt were more relaxed and satisfying.

But, the original LIVE broadcast of 1944, done before the 1945 Carnegie Hall waxing, was much, much better!

I sort of specialize in restoring the Toscanini broadcasts for my own use, and obtained the noisy, unedited public-domain raw materials from an Italian club, via another AT enthusiast who made his own flawed, futile attempts to "restore" the files. Essentially I have had to "reverse engineer" his poor and faulty equalizations. Some parts of the broadcast acetates aren't so hot but much of the Concerto is quite nice indeed; many hours were expended on the refurbishment. The companion works are the Egmont Overture, and some movements from the String Quartet No. 16, expanded for full orchestral strings. This was from an extensive series of Beethoven broadcasts done in the latter days of WW2 by Toscanini: no doubt a wee tiny bit of "musical moral commentary" directed toward Hitler and his Nazi armies.

https://www81.zippyshare.com/v/xqr69UIq/file.html

(165 MB lossless FLACs)

As before, I've used Zippyshare's totally free, unregistered service, so the file will expire in about a month. Get it before the outbreak of the Battle of the Bulge! If you fail to act in time, then Gen. McAuliffe says "NUTS" to you!

Charlot said...

Malwarebytes does not like Zippyshare and blocks any downloads.

Anonymous said...

I was fooling around with some Toscanini material this evening, and thought I might append a little encore to the concert I uploaded earlier, with the Beethoven concerto. This item consists of two movements from the "Piedmont Suite" by Sinigaglia (Over Fields and Woods, and Rustic Dance) from Toscanini's NBC Symphony broadcast of 14 April 1941, in *amazingly good* in-house sound that surely must have come from the archival transcriptions; it was being passed around the web about ten years ago, and I managed to nab it, doing a little bit of reprocessing. I may be wrong, but do believe Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops recorded another extract from the same piece, the Piedmont Dances, on the famous old RCA Victor album, "Jalousie". Surely this work cries out for a really good modern digital recording!

https://www91.zippyshare.com/v/8AiEi54o/file.html

80 MB, Apple lossless format, 2-channel, zipped. File expires on 10/4/18.
8H Haggis

Charlot said...

For some reason, Malwarebytes, though it still blocks Zippyshare's PUP attempts, no longer blocks the download and the Toscanini files are in fact still available today. So that's good.