23 August 2015

Jerry Fielding's 1953 Band

Jerry Fielding is remembered today as a film and television composer, but before that experience, he was an arranger, radio conductor and bandleader. It’s in the latter guise that we hear him today, in this 1953 10-inch LP for the short-lived Trend label.

A friend of mine posted this record on his blog, and observed that Fielding seems so young on the cover that he does not look like he’s begun to shave. Perhaps so, but by this time he had been a professional for nearly a decade, writing big-band arrangements and conducting the orchestras for a number of radio shows.

Fielding was born Joshua Feldman, and the claim is made that in 1947 the producer of Jack Paar’s radio show made him change his name as a condition of getting a job on that program. However, by that time the young bandleader had already made records under the Fielding name.

By whatever name, he was a notable success, and this record is testimony. It documents a working band that Fielding had assembled, with three or four trumpets, two trombones, four or five saxes, and rhythm. The soloists include Maurie Harris (trumpet), Hymie Gunkler (alto), Buddy Collette and Sam Donahue (tenors) and Gerald Wiggins (piano). The leader’s arrangements are varied and imaginative, making for a fine album. (Perhaps not as good as the review below, which touts this disc as “the best band album ever recorded,” to the surprise, no doubt, of Ellington, Basie and many others.)

Billboard ad - click to enlarge
The LP has 11 cuts, five of which are devoted to Fielding’s theme song, “Carefree,” which is heard in snatches at the start and end of each side of the record, and complete on the first side. It’s an attractive piece, but maybe not deserving of all that exposure.

As a bonus to the LP, I’ve added Fielding’s first single for the Trend label. It includes a band treatment of “Here in My Arms” backed by a vocal on “A Blues Serenade” by the young Ruth Olay, who was under the influence of Mildred Bailey at the time. Olay went on to record a number of albums, and was backed by Fielding on one of her records for Mercury.

The Trend label was started by Albert Marx, who had owned the Musicraft label and was at the helm of Discovery for many years. Trend also recorded blog favorites Matt Dennis and Claude Thornhill, among others. These masters later were reissued on Kapp.

After Trend’s demise, Fielding moved on to Decca. I’ll post one of the records from that association if there is interest.

15 comments:

Buster said...

Links (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/#!PdFkBbII!iKSLUUOiReKTI3zkyccUI0uiS2PZCy_7Rzg74GcYseI

https://www.mediafire.com/?7xp3qtknfm0mqo7

DonHo57 said...

Thanks for adding the single along with this wonderful LP, Buster.

centuri said...

Dear Buster, Thanks for sharing this wonderful album. Amazing pulse and incredible musicians.

Buster said...

You folks are VERY welcome. Thanks so much for your regular comments!

johnp said...

Many thanks Buster !

John said...

A great post. Thank you especially for the early Ruth Olay single, I have searched for that for years. Any chance you could post Ruth Olay's Lp Live at Mister Kelly's? I would love to hear it. Jerry Fielding is indeed an entertaining arranger and I am thrilled to have this recording. Thank you.

Buster said...

Thanks, John and John.

I do have some Ruth Olay LPs, but not sure if the Mister Kelly album is among them.

RonH said...

Thanks Buster. Great as Always. Especially the single.

Ernie said...

Thanks for sharing this, Buster. If it's half as good as his Christmas LP, it's gonna be great! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you!!! I'd also be interested in the Ruth Olay LPs.

pino said...

Do I make you my compliments. This is just a nice blog.With so much quality music. Good boy. A big hello.

pino said...

Do I make you my compliments. This is just a nice blog.With so much quality music. Good boy. A big hello.

Kevin WOlf said...

Many thanks from this Fielding fan.

Scoredaddy said...

great post. I am a fan of Fielding's film music. I look forward to this. I grew up listening to his Hogan's Heroes music!!!

StealthMan said...

Nobody has to twist my arm to try out dance music, or Jerry Fielding. Thanks, Buster.