![]() |
| Rita Hayes |
As usual, vocalist Harry Prime makes an appearance, as does Rita Hayes, a good singer who also had a stint with another Millerite, Tex Beneke. Also on hand is the vocal group the Singing Winds, which was apparently Prime, Hayes, Flanagan and two band musicians.
These transfers are from the 10-inch LP versions of the albums, which also came out in 45 and 78 sets, I believe. They were in RCA's "Designed for Dancing" series, which showcased the top bands and pop composers. On the first cover, RCA made Flanagan look reasonably good with a pink complexion; they turned him an unfortunate chartreuse for the second.
Even though there are two LPs here, don't expect a huge amount of music. RCA was only offering six cuts per album in this series. The sound is very good, but there is some rustle on the second volume.
Below is a photo staged probably at the December 14, 1949 recording date. The record company had everyone show up in suits, but the bandleader forgot his hairpiece. In the band you can see (if I am not mistaken): at left, tenor sax Al Klink; in the middle of the trumpets Billy Butterfield, flanked by towering lead trumpet Jimmy Maxwell; the estimable bassist Bob Haggart; and Harry Prime at the vocal microphone. Klink and Butterfield were veterans of the Miller band.
![]() |
| Click to enlarge |





29 comments:
Links (Apple lossless):
Ralph Flanagan - Plays Rodgers & Hammerstein II for Dancing
https://mega.co.nz/#!bIcDUTxb!6sRmvnU66RAP5U1A2dD0phG5rrDcQnqIawLty-fTecQ
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c3xphdcltk6rgkz/Ralph_Flanagan_-_Plays_Rodgers_&_Hammerstein_II_for_Dancing.zip
Ralph Flanagan - Plays Rodgers & Hammerstein II for Dancing Vol. II
https://mega.co.nz/#!uMNnyDTb!vJKQKS2OGuO4TX83I7a5me8IFg8vAW4OqFxpr5vebik
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yx9xxj9p1x5a3fv/Ralph_Flanagan_-_Plays_Rodgers_&_Hammerstein_II_for_Dancing_Vol._II.zip
I love these, Buster! Thank you!
Dance music? Sign me up for a lifetime membership to that, please.
Thanks, Buster.
thank you, Buster!
Is there a decryption key?
Nah - you are probably trying to download from Mega, which is a little funky with certain browsers. Try the Mediafire links. Or use Chrome or Firefox with the Mega extension installed.
From the time when show music infiltrated the public consciousness in so many ways...thanks a lot, Buster.
Hi Buster;
I COMMENTED IN YOUR GREAT CHRISTMAS SECTION...BUT I WANTED TO PUT THAT HERE TO SHOW MY APPRECIATION, AND MAKE SURE YOU SAW IT;
sorry to intrude here, Buster...
My wife and I enjoy your performance every Christmas in: The Donna Reed Show - "A Very Merry Christmas".
It is a great half-hour, and YOU absolutely make it!!
What I really want to say is THANK YOU for all the happiness you bring to folks like my wife and me. Christmas music is our favourite music of all...and we are fairly 'secular'! With this great music, older sources work the best it seems.
So your mining of so many forgotten, lost, & quirky nuggets provides so many unexpected riches:)
Bless you, and all the best, year 'round,
Hi Buster;
I COMMENTED IN YOUR GREAT CHRISTMAS SECTION...BUT I WANTED TO PUT THAT HERE TO SHOW MY APPRECIATION, AND MAKE SURE YOU SAW IT;
sorry to intrude here, Buster...
My wife and I enjoy your performance every Christmas in: The Donna Reed Show - "A Very Merry Christmas".
It is a great half-hour, and YOU absolutely make it!!
What I really want to say is THANK YOU for all the happiness you bring to folks like my wife and me. Christmas music is our favourite music of all...and we are fairly 'secular'! With this great music, older sources work the best it seems.
So your mining of so many forgotten, lost, & quirky nuggets provides so many unexpected riches:)
Bless you, and all the best, year 'round,
You were on The Donna Reed Show?
Ern - I'm old, but not THAT old - I think my namesake (Buster K) was on the show.
Tanktop - Thanks so much for your note! Much appreciated.
Hi BUSTER;
LOVE digging thru your Big 10-Inch Record blog!
From "The almost complete" Sun Valley GM soundtrack,
to Christmas music...to torrid stuff - LOL,
...wow. As Scoredaddy would say, 'so well curated':)
Fun to learn more from that great time period,
and did I mention that your writing style
and wonderful sense of humour couch everything perfectly.
Thanks a lot, Buster - a real pleasure!!
Hi BUSTER;
LOVE digging thru your Big 10-Inch Record blog!
From "The almost complete" Sun Valley GM soundtrack,
to Christmas music...to torrid stuff - LOL,
...wow. As Scoredaddy would say, 'so well curated':)
Fun to learn more from that great time period,
and did I mention that your writing style
and wonderful sense of humour couch everything perfectly.
Thanks a lot, Buster - a real pleasure!!
I saw one of these Flanagan 10" records this weekend at a place in St. Pete called Artpool. They had a few more from the Designed For Dancing in the dollar bin, is there anything you're looking for? I was excited to find a Cab Calloway Living Stereo LP with a Mozelle Thompson doodle on the back side. One track seemed to have an unrecoverable skip in it, though, after hours of trying. :(
Tanktop - Thanks once again for your kind comments!
Ernie - I think I have most of them, but what did you find?
I didn't buy any, I had a big enough stack for myself already. I'll take a look next time and send you a list.
I didn't buy any, I had a big enough stack for myself already. I'll take a look next time and send you a list.
Ah - a stack of records! Those are mostly sweet memories now. (Except for the stacks in my basement.)
Thanks, Buster! Always great to grab your rare Big Band lps.
Steve
So delighted to find out that you have copies of both albums in your collection! I acquired Volume 1 a few weeks ago in its 3-45s in a box format at Goodwill for $1.99 a few weeks ago. This is Flanagan's "More Glenn Miller than Glenn Miller" sound at its peak and it has some great Miller-style arrangements of these R&H classics that Rival Glenn Miller at his peak during the Jerry Gray era of Miller's civilian band. Mr. Prine's vocals are really good here, particularly on "People Will Say We're in Love" Excellent collection.
musicman - I am a great fan of Flanagan.
Not sure if you have it in your collection, but one that I am interested in listening to is his Coral album Dance to the New Live Sound of Ralph Flanagan.
musicman - Not sure. I'll look for it.
Thanks.
some comments on Volume One from listening to my 3-45 RPM box set version of the album: "Surrey with the Fringe on Top" is a lively mid-tempo romp. "People Will Say We're in Love" is probably the best cut, as the Flanagan band nails the Glenn Miller sound to a "T", occasionally referencing "Oh What a Beautiful Morning." Harry Prime has a nice warm vocal without directly aping Ray Eberle's vocal style.
"Oh What a Beautiful Morning" is kind of in the style of "Moonlight Serenade, yet increases the tempo a touch for the dancers, even throwing in a "Chattanooga Choo Choo" reference toward the end, complete with a great solo from the trombone section. Harry Prime has the most Ray Eberle-sounding vocal here.
"Some Enchanted Evening" is probably the most Glenn Miller-sounding tune on Volume One, done almost exactly how Glenn would have done it had he returned from the war, although a vocal is missing. "If I Loved You" features Ralph Flanagan's piano playing, done in the style of Gordon Jenkins, with some excellent contributions from the brass section. That piano style also appears on "It Might as Well Be Spring", which features a great mellow uncredited trumpet solo. By far one of Flanagan's better albums.
musicman - It is a good album, indeed - thanks for all your notes!
You are welcome.
Post a Comment