09 April 2015

Paul Weston's Melodies for a Sentimental Mood

I had a request for more from the estimable and inescapable arranger Paul Weston, so here we have his Melodies for a Sentimental Mood, from circa 1952.

These danceable, easy listening sides make a great contrast to the Elliott Carter sonatas I just presented, which may have many virtues, but certainly will not inspire you to roll up the rugs for a sock hop.

Paul Weston
One of the frustrations of records like this is that the excellent musicians are not identified. However, Weston did often work with a group of famous West Coast session hands, and other records he made for Columbia did specify the personnel, who included the following: Ziggy Elman, Clyde Hurley (tp) Joe Howard, Bill Schaefer (tb) Matty Matlock (cl) Babe Russin, Ted Nash, Eddie Miller (ts) Paul Smith (p) Barney Kessel, George Van Eps (g). The "Embraceable You" solo trumpet certainly sounds like Ziggy.

The sonics on this 10-inch LP are most vivid.

11 comments:

Buster said...

Links (Apple lossless):

https://www.mediafire.com/?5ft35ngowa3s7t5

https://mega.co.nz/#!ycs3naoQ!JO9gy-gYw46i2-4SevRdAAjTTvPhLXs0S11tYoBAfKM

centuri said...

Top notch arrangements and musicians. Thanks so much for that rare Lp The sound is great too ! Would love to hear more of Paul Weston......

RonH said...

Thanks Buster. Great!!

woolfnotes said...

Such a great arranger. He did some marvellous charts for Ella's Irving Berlin Songbook, One of the best in the series.

MisaJund said...

Hi
Many thanks.

MisaJund said...

Hi
Many thanks.

StealthMan said...

Wow, Buster, thank you so much for the new Weston! I'm really enjoying it. I can tick this off my Weston discography now (which says this was released in 1952).

By the way, that's a swell cleanup job you did on the cover.

I've gotten past my mp3 conversion problem by converting your files to flac, then to mp3. Extra work, yes. If anyone knows of a format converter that can do a better job than Format Factory, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Buster: Do you have any mono-era Morton Gould recordings, with him doing popular instrumentals? I've come to like his stuff from that era, and hope you'll have some one day.

Scoredaddy said...

thank you, Buster. I always enjoy Weston

SwingKing said...

Weston had such a beautiful, sweeping. This album is up there with SOLO MOOD and MOOD FOR 12.

Muff Diver said...


Thank you, Buster!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!