01 August 2014

Claude Thornhill - Piano and Rhythm

Claude Thornhill made a great many records as a bandleader, but relatively few as a pianist with rhythm section. As far as I can tell, there were 10, all done in November and December 1947 with backing by Barry Galbraith (guitar), Joe Shulman (bass), and Bill Exiner (drums), who were members of Thornhill's band of the time.

Columbia devoted this 1949 10-inch LP to eight of the songs. One other, "Frasquita Serenade," appeared only on a 78 that I also have and have appended as a bonus track. I don't have the final piece that Thornhill recorded. It was included on a 1950s compilation LP, but that record isn't in my collection, unfortunately.

Thornhill was a imaginative, reflective pianist who chose some unusual works for this program. The sound is excellent, except for an occasional crackle and whoosh, and some odd low-frequency thumping that Columbia added to "That Old Feeling."

16 comments:

Phillip said...

Never heard him with a small group before, and I love his piano playing. Many thanks, Buster.

dave_bruce said...

As Duke Ellington famously said of Thornhill, "I wonder if the world will ever know how much it had in this beautiful man". What a gem. What can I say?

John said...

Thank you for these rare Claude Thornhill selections. I'm excited to hear them. Thank you so much for all you do to keep these wonderful music selections from fading into obscurity.

Buster said...

Thanks, all, for the lovely comments - much appreciated!

Luis said...

Buster: Here is the 10th record "Alt Wien" taken from "Claude Thornhill - The Rare Columbia Recordings" (Collectables), Thanks for your posts!
http://www53.zippyshare.com/v/94875274/file.html

Buster said...

Thanks, Luis! You truly are the man who has everything.

flyingfinger said...

I know this will be enjoyable - good call Buster!

sep troelstra said...

Thanks a lot!!

Bhowani said...

Aaargh ! Missed !! If by chance, you could reup this one....

Buster said...

New link (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/#!SQdzxarQ!tPCt9-X2OeABNVpWpjeyIIf2A4WMgaBHUSyuIu_sZX0

Scoredaddy said...

thanks!

rowgatien said...

Thank you!

Bhowani said...

4 years have passed....And I was not aware of your reup! My fault! But still it works fine and I'm grateful to you for this !!

cvllos said...

Wow, Buster! You're THE MAN! Many thanks!!!

cvllos said...

I'd like to subscribe myself to your site, Buster; how can I do, please? So many important recordings!
My email cvllos@yahoo.com.br
Origin: Brasil/ Rio de Janeiro
PS: anything more?
Thanks for your atention!

Muff Diver said...

Thank you, Buster!