29 June 2014

Tito Puente on Broadway

I recently reupped Perez Prado's first American LP, and enjoyed the experience of remastering that recording so much, I went looking for more mambo sounds for you.

I didn't have far to look because as it happens, Tito Puente is right next to Perez Prado on my shelves.

The young Puente at a recording session
The two are often linked as Cuban musicians, but in actuality only Prado hailed from Cuba (and even he achieved fame in Mexico). Puente was born in the New York and was of Puerto Rican descent. If you look online, you will see Puente hailed as the "Mambo King" and Prado as the "King of the Mambo."

Whatever their ancestry and whoever was king, they both made superb records, and this one is a particularly fine example. It starts out with the incredible "Ran-Kan-Kan" and goes from there, powered by Puente's hyperactive timbales, with hardly a low point (possibly excepting the mambo version of "Tuxedo Junction"). The passionate lead vocalist is apparently Vitin Avilés, although this is nowhere noted on the LP.

This 10-inch LP dates from 1953; however, a discussion of Puente's recordings here suggests these sides were made from 1949 to 1951. At that time, Puente worked mainly for Tico Records, but during a lull there he did these sides for RCA Victor's international division. RCA's American label signed him away from Tico in 1955.

The sound on these recordings is remarkably vivid.

12 comments:

Buster said...

Links (Apple lossless):

https://mega.co.nz/#!vJclHQ4T!RFYcHUU5Zj8xFsLqAK__OC96tTF2PGdXUJkBtmmb5Vk

http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/74371807/file.html

Steinar said...

Beautiful! Thanks!

John said...

Muchas Gracias!!!

JAC said...

This is fascinating. I wonder, though: In what sense is it "on Broadway"?

Buster said...

JAC - No idea, except that he was based in NY.

dave_bruce said...

Super record! It's a sobering thought that recording standards seem little, if any, better today than they were nearly 70 years ago.

Buster said...

dave - Records of this vintage often have a nice wide frequency response and can sound very good. The engineers generally used one or a few mics, so the sound is pretty coherent and present. It's much different from what you hear today.

David Federman said...

If you compare these RCA recordings with Puente's contemporaneous Tico recordings, you will appreciate RCA's recording mastery even more. We forget that in the 1950s this company was still resting on its laurels for achievements in both sound recording and reproduction. I used to have custom-crafted console speakers with RCA mid-range articulation speakers designed for voice clarity on naval vessels during WWII. Even in 1972, these speakers tore away every veil from vocal records. I remember the first time I played a mono Carmen McRae album recorded for Decca. Friends said, "Who needs stereo?"

Buster said...

David - Yes, those McRae LPs are works of art in more ways that one.

Eric said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium_Ballroom

This will explain the title of the album,

Buster said...

Eric - Thanks! I shoulda figured that.

Muff Diver said...



Sorry for arriving so late to the partee, as I'd like to know more about "articulation speakers" and so much more.

I've never heard Tito Puente and know very little of his background. Anyways, thank you Buster for this terrific vintage LP.