21 December 2013

Christmas Songs of Spain

Here is a lovely album of the Christmas songs of Spain, recorded circa 1955 by musicologist Laura Boulton. It is one of several of her field recordings released by Folkways during that label's heyday.

I can tell you little of the music and nothing of the performers, alas, because even though there is a booklet included with the set, it consists almost entirely of texts. I imagine the intent was to show the variety of indigenous Christmas music rather than to display individual artistry. However, to give the only credit to the person doing the recording is something expected from the likes of Phil Spector rather than a musicologist.

But I am being too crabby for a time so close to Christmas. This is a fine set in good sound; please enjoy it and the holidays!

12 comments:

Buster said...

Link (Apple lossless):

https://mega.co.nz/#!GE9ynbiZ!Z1Tgnl4tUNy4f5dUYtPpnW8N0tw99cIl7bWui0SS8Vo

http://rapidshare.com/share/9AB5BBCC67CC4917A3991BB79C43D6B9

http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/35993113/file.html

Kwork said...

Looks great. Thank you so much and Merry Christmas!

KL from NYC said...

Thank you.
Everything I used to come across on Folkways was always lo-fi. Hearing a well-recorded Folkways LP will be a first for me.

hkitt42 said...



Lovely album

If you go to the Smithsonian Folkways website and search under the album's title, you'll find a downloadable pdf of its complete booklet.

This is true for all the Folkways albums, all of which are now available from The Smithsonian as a condition of acquiring the catalog from the Asch estate.

Buster said...

Thanks folks!

hkitt - The download includes my scan of the booklet. Does it strike you as strange that 60-year-old recordings of anonymous non-professionals are being sold by the U.S. government to its citizens, who also paid for acquiring such recordings, which never should have been copyrighted in the first place?

Rich said...

Thank you Buster. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and Holiday Season. Thank you for all the great albums you share with us through the year.

Rich

hkitt42 said...

For better or worse, we live in a relativist world; without Smithsonian Folkways, the Asch catalog would've gone out of print entirely..

It's yet another sad example of a cultural market failure.

Incidentally, a substantial portion of that catalog--Guthrie, Seeger, Houston, Leadbelly, Ritchieet al.--was copyrightable.

centuri said...

Merry Christmas - JOYEUX NOEL Buster !!!

coppinsuk said...

May I take this opportunity to wish you a very enjoyable Festive Season and I hope that you will enjoy good health and happiness in 2014.

Thank you for bringing much pleasure to me during 2013 from your kindness in uploading such enjoyable music - much of which has extended my “musical education”.


Happy Holidays,

Boa Festes,

Feliz Navidad,

Bonne vacances,

Frohe Festtage,

Buone Feste,

Cheers,

Douglas (UK)

Buster said...

Hello, friends - I hope you all have had a very merry Christmas! Thanks for all your comments and greetings.

Marco said...

Thanks Buster! Merry Christmas!

Alberto Cos said...

Muchísimas gracias, Buster!!