![]() |
| Julius Baker |
The repertoire could not be more welcome, consisting of the Poem for flute and orchestra by the American Impressionist Charles Tomlinson Griffes and "A Night Piece" by the American Romantic Arthur Foote.
Assisting in the Griffes is a chamber orchestra led by Daniel Saidenberg, also a busy performer during the period. In "A Night Piece" Baker is joined by the then violins of the Stuyvesant Quartet (Sylvan Shulman and Bernard Roberts), violist Harold Coletta of the NBC Symphony, and cellist Bernard Greenhouse, later of the Beaux Arts Trio.
These are excellent performances that I recommend. The sound is good. They come from American Decca's spartan (no notes) 4000 series of 10-inch LPs, dating from the early 1950s. I have a few more from this series coming up.
LINK to 2026 remaster



5 comments:
The Griffes is a lovely piece and I look forward to hearing this recording. Many thanks, Buster.
Griffes was a wonderful composer. His orchestral compositions are colourful, sometimes very close to Debussy's style.
Foote has also been a key composer in American music.
Many thanks Buster for this rare post.
Thanks. I look forward to this as the classical posts I've downloaded from this blog have thus far sounded great.
Dear Buster, Thank you very much! According to Michael Gray's discographical data on the CHARM website, this LP was recorded on 10 & 11 June 1952. Best wishes, Nick
This is a lovely record. If you would like a scan of the sleeve notes of the English issue I will gladly send it (if you tell me how).
Post a Comment