27 December 2012

Ella Logan

Ella Logan will be forever associated with Finian's Rainbow, having introduced "How Are Things in Glocca Morra" on Broadway in 1947. Logan also recorded most of the songs from that Burton Lane - E.Y. Harburg score in 1954, for this Capitol LP.

Ella Logan and David Wayne
The Glasgow-born Logan was a veteran singer when she came to Broadway. She made her debut in 1930 in London, and was a club singer in the US, even appearing in several films and shows before hitting it big in Finian's Rainbow.

When this Capitol recording session was taking place, Logan was planning to be involved in an animated version of the show, along with such luminaries as Frank Sinatra. That version was never completed (although the songs were recorded), but this, apparently unrelated LP still came out in 1955.

Logan was a very self-assured, but mannered singer. If you like her vocals on the original cast LP, you will be sure to enjoy this album, which is in a similar style. The fussy arrangements are by George Greeley. The sound is excellent.


15 comments:

JAC said...

Thanks for this, Buster! And on my birthday, too.

Ella Logan is a fascinating case to a musical theater researcher like me. Because on the whole, performers in musicals sang their music as written, without Sinatra-style "backphrasing," until the 1960s, give or take an occasional breath and such. And then there's Logan, in the FINIAN'S RAINBOW cast recording in 1947, avoiding the beat as if it was dangerous. She clearly did her own thing.

stevenluvsabba said...

Thank you very much for this and your many wonderful posts. Your blog is one of my favourites, not only because of the great music but also the informative background info.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,
Steven

DonHo57 said...

Thanks Buster. Nice!

Addison said...

I grew up with the 78 album of the original cast so I'm very curious to hear this version. Thank you for transferring this.

Mike in Focus said...

Must be a family trait - her niece is Annie Ross.

Ernie said...

I wonder why her two theater tickets aren't together? Someone is going to be seated between her and her date!

Ravel said...

Among the first 10'' records I bought in the late 1980's is a Royale label: The Inspired Music of Richard Rodgers. There is a song by Logan, There's a Small Hotel. It was my 1st intro to this song and Logan. Still a favorite to this day. Out of Finian's Rainbow, I didn't hear her much. Then, I saw her on some Dave Pell albums.
Funny how some singers are elusive & how they stay in your mind.
I must thank you for this record here. And all you share here. I'm a follower, even if I don't talk often !
Happy New Year.
Ravel, Montreal, Quebec

Mikel J said...

Very 'Schweet' - I recall having a cast recording of this back in the 60's. Ella sounds very wholesome (Irish) on these recordings.
Thank You for Posting!
Mikelj3

monkeeboy said...

Nice post Buster! Love you old school Capitol records posts!! Much obliged and Happy New Year!!

Ravel said...

I want to (I need to) correct a silly comment I made here a while ago: It was not with Dave Pell band, but Lucy Ann Polk ! Hopefully, I didn't send anybody on a search ! LOL !

Buster said...

Ravel,

Well, it surprised me, but it was not beyond the realm of possibility considering she was a band singer at one time.

Unknown said...

A re-up, please.

Buster said...

Remastered version (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/#!iQ1EiR6D!iEmNak7p8dCkybpaCpgQdq64G-pLsu8WWmmwOkqLzOM

RayKay said...

Thank you, much appreciated.

Scoredaddy said...

belated thanks