But first, the re-ups. All of these are my original, mp3-only transfers from several years ago. Don't expect sonic splendors. The links below take you to the original post. Direct links to the downloads are also in the comments section of this post.
Page Cavanaugh: After Hours
Page Cavanaugh: Keyboard Kings
Page Cavanaugh Trio
Now on to the new material. These are four 15-minute transcriptions from a series called "The Navy Swings". Page and trio perform on each program and also back obscure vocalist Kay Cee Jones. Announcer George Fenneman pushes careers in the U.S. Navy.
![]() |
| Kay Cee Jones |
The transcriptions don't indicate who is accompanying Cavanaugh. His classic trio, depicted below, included Al Viola on guitar (left) and Lloyd Pratt on bass (right), but I doubt they are present on the Navy shows.
The transcriptions are on 16-inch discs, as were many radio programs back then. I don't have a transcription turntable, so I had them dubbed onto cassette tape many years ago. Unfortunately the person who did the work transferred the sound at far too low a level, so the results lack definition, although they are certainly listenable. And listen you should, if you like great pianism and stylish singing.
![]() |
| The classic Page Cavanaugh Trio |




12 comments:
Links -
The Navy Swings (Apple lossless format):
http://www.mediafire.com/?7k9mq21ho6e28w5
After Hours:
http://www.mediafire.com/?o25w4vns78185sw
Keyboard Kings:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ctdqdh8do3tzzrs
Page cavanaugh Trio:
http://www.mediafire.com/?j6tczjtmtlgvhzg
Thanks, Buster. I was thinking recently about how hard it would be to build a serviceable turntable that would allow me to play 16" discs. I don't have any of them, but it would be neat to see if I could build a player. All I'd need to do is move the tonearm mount, and lengthen the actual tonearm... Hmmm, my dad's got a machine shop and I work in a metal fab shop, maybe this is something I need to look at seriously. Hmmm... I think I have a turntable I can cannibalize.
Sounds like a great idea, Ern. See if you can make one for me out of the six turntables in my basement, please.
Wow. Thanks for all of this. I've always liked Page Cavanaugh and now I have much more of him to listen to. This recent run of re-upping is an excellent thing! Thanks again.
Thanks for bringing back the old Page Cavanaughs, and for adding the new! I remember first liking them in the Doris Day movie (movies?) they did.
Very nice, indeed ! I have some of his 78's on ARA and Encore but the music here is new to me. Much appreciated !
With the passing of Tony Martin, would you consider re-upping your posts of his work?
But you might be way ahead of me on this....
The last few months of his life at the retirement home where he lived, Page gave weekly concerts every Sunday! The last Sunday of his life, they wheeled him out, he had this devilish grin on his face and he just refused to play. The audience continued exhorting him, but he just kept shaking his head "no." As if to say, I've played enough in my life already. It's over! Not even the bribe of his beloved cheesecake could get him to change his mind. Actually, it was not at all depressing, but rather a sweet and funny moment. Typical Page humor. BTW these Navy Swings recordings are not listed in his complete discography published in Germany in early 2000s. Never heard him sound better. My guess is that it's John Pisano on guitar. From about 1961.
Hi Bill,
Many thanks for the information and the remembrance of Page. A great talent.
By the way, I will be offering a Coral single from the late Johnny Prophet on my other blog in a few days.
If my mind isn't playing ricks on me---Tricks, I say---the Coral has an arrangement by Nelson Riddle.
Bill - You are correct! The songs are "Come Back Little Sheba" and "Ask Her While You're Dancing," which has an arrangement very reminiscent of a tune he did up for Sinatra about the same time. Can't remember which one, but will try to figure it out by the time I post the record.
There's some info about the Navy Swings shows that Cavanaugh did, at RadioGoldindex. It includes the 4 that Buster posted here.
Post a Comment