01 January 2012

Russell Garcia

Arranger Russell Garcia - very active on the West Coast in the 50s and 60s - died in November. I thought I might present a few of his unre-released LPs in tribute to his talents.

Most of Garcia's available work is backing singers and instrumentalists, including Oscar Peterson and Ella Fitzgerald, but he also did instrumental records in a number of genres - jazz, easy listening and samba. This 1956 effort, a combination of instrumental and vocal items, is a tribute to songwriter and Hollywood music director Johnny Green. (Green is on the right in the cover photo.)

For the date, Garcia was joined by some of the most active West Coast musicians of the time, including trumpeter Don Fagerquist and pianist John T. Williams, who later became famous for his film scores.

The excellent vocalists include Jud Conlon's Rhythmaires, who worked with Bing Crosby and on Disney films, and studio singers Sue Allen and Eddie Robertson.

Green wrote many standards - including "Body and Soul," "Out of Nowhere," "East Come, Easy Go," "I Cover the Waterfront," "You're Mine You" and "I'm Yours." I enjoyed just as much the more unfamiliar items here, such as "The Trembling of a Leaf," "Hello My Lover Goodbye" and "With You With Me."

This record produced no hits, broke no new ground and is not exceptional for its time. However, it is distinguished by the skill it displays and the pleasure it will bring to the sympathetic listener. The sound is vivid, if not always well balanced.

To learn more about Russ Garcia, please read this fine remembrance by Marc Myers, which also links to an interview with the arranger from a few years ago.

15 comments:

Buster said...

Links:

FLAC -

http://www.mediafire.com/?6bb3mdh7kg4z60m

mp3 -

http://www.mediafire.com/?c4mv388d04y5q3x

Phillip said...

To think I would hear my treasured, battered vinyl in pristine fashion on this blog one day...words cannot express, Buster. And Johnny Green is one of my favourite composers.

paulvinyl said...

Thank you Buster - this is one very beautiful album destined for many, many plays in this household.

RonH said...

Thanks Buster and the best wishes for 2012. I didn't know that Russ Garcia made 'solo' albums. Fantastic! I know the man from The Time Machine. And Johnny Green from Raintree County. A magnificent combination.

Kevin WOlf said...

Thanks! Looking forward to this one.

Your Pal Doug said...

Wow. Very similar in style to Sounds in The Night. Nice.

jeronimo said...

This is a great album!!!
I happen to have it myself (and believe it or not, was willing to share this one with you...)

Great to have your exquisit rip for on my ipod...

I especially like the idea that singer Sue Allen has her solo features, cause like Mel Tormé said about her, she's a great singer on her own...Pity that these are probably the only sides she recorded on her own (meaning not being part of some vocl group...)

j.

Buster said...

Thanks, everyone - it is wonderful that you are enjoying this.

j - Sue Allen did make some other records. I have a "song-story" LP she did with Vic Schoen; I'll have to transfer it.

moxnix said...

Thanks, Buster for the rare Russ Garcia, looking forward to it, Happy New Year!

David Federman said...

I am sorry to hear of Russ Garcia's passing. Thanks for paying tribute with this exceptional album, although I suggest you search for Russ's masterpiece, "Sounds in the Night," issued by Bethlehem in 1957. This incredible album is not mentioned in Marc Meyers' otherwise wonderful piece. But he captures all the other highlights.

jeronimo said...

@ buster - didn't know that!
thanks for telling...
she's rather pleasant on the ears

j.

Buster said...

David - I have that LP somewhere. Looked for it but couldn't locate it.

flyingfinger said...

Love to listen to more Sue Allen - I found a Singers Inc. album with her, The Singers Inc. - Bossa Nova (1963)it's not overly hip, but harmless enough with layered overdubbed vocals.
my copy is in mono...they did it in stereo too, 1 or 2 clips on youtube sound pretty fair - Thanks for this very lovely record Buster!

Paul said...

I think I have the Walter Gross album.

Scoredaddy said...

much belated thanks/ i incredibly missed this and VERY grateful that the link is still live!! thanks you, Buster