29 November 2011

More Matt Dennis

I had a request for this Matt Dennis LP, which I am particularly happy to provide at this time because it contains two seasonal songs.

This is a selection of radio transcriptions that the singer-songwriter made primarily (I believe) in 1947, although this Tops LP dates from about a decade later. These were done for the C.P. MacGregor company, which was one of the major houses providing transcription services to radio stations.

Matt Dennis
I say 1947 because some of the songs date from then, including Dennis' own "Natch," a Merceresque tune that I would swear Mercer himself recorded, although I can't find any evidence of such.

Almost all of these recordings are of Dennis alone with his piano, which is the best way to hear him. The holiday selections are Matt's fine composition "Hitch Up the Sleigh" and an affecting version of "White Christmas."

Matt Dennis is strong favorite of mine, so I hope you will try this excellent record

23 comments:

Buster said...

Links:

FLAC

http://www.mediafire.com/?ehmog3ce8eqcr1t

mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/?yn15s1h73zcdw1d

Thanks for your comments!

Scoredaddy said...

holy crap!!!! a new Matt Dennis!!! hooray and big thanks!

Ernie said...

¡Muchas Gracias, Senor Buster!

JohnnyLovesRecords said...

Wow! This is certainly an unexpected treat! I really like Matt Dennis too. Thanks fro posting this and Merry Christmas Buster!

JohnnyNUSA

jeronimo said...

Thanks a million Buteroonie...
I sooooooo loooovvveeee the cover =)

j.

Kovina Kris said...

Just excellent. Thank you!

the jazzman said...

Big time treat for Matt Dennis fans. Thanks.

Phillip said...

What a lovely surprise! Many thanks, Buster.

Kevin said...

Wow. Didn't even know that this existed. Thanks.

Beppo said...

Woo Hoo! Thank you!

RonH said...

A real gem!

Thanks

grumpy said...

Wow - speechless!

Rio Veneno said...

Oh, probably I'm too late and I say thanks the last but... Ohohohoh this is absolutely unexpected to me. Thanks for share something more about the one and only... Matt Denniss! Oh yeah! :)

Puckwheat said...

Thank you for all your posts!

David Federman said...

Did Dennis write "Lazy Countryside"? It's a great song, as is "Hitch Up the Sleigh." I wish the last few tracks weren't so drenched in echo, but, all in all, this album is cause for celebration. Your transfer is great. Thanks.

Buster said...

Thanks, all, for your great comments. Much appreciated.

David, "Lazy Countryside" was written by Bobby Worth for a Disney movie, Fun and Fancy Free. It does sound like Dennis or Mercer. On the reverb - not sure if that was from Tops or MacGregor, but it was not from Buster!

Ravel said...

I must thank you for Dennis, that I'm discovering lately. I like his winning combination of piano player and singer, even if he isn't the best voice ever. Talented.
Ravel, Montreal, Quebec

KL from NYC said...

Thank you.

On the upper left-hand corner, it says "Transcription Series" -- Do you think these tracks may have been part of a transcription library (when separate recordings were necessary for broadcast) like Standard or World?
I know that 1960s budget LPs were put together from tracks recorded by Mel Torme for World Transcription Service because the broadcast music libraries were obsolete by that time and the tracks were cheap.

Just a thought.

KL from NYC said...

Cancel that comment.
I hadn't read the first paragraph.
Sorry.

Buster said...

Remastered version (Apple lossless):

https://mega.co.nz/#!KItFyKJQ!PXuz0AF7S_8L7RTIFqog9nqMzK98HwX-YVSk3AFBpEo

RayKay said...

Hi, Buster, any chance of a re-up on this one? I really like Matt Dennis.

Buster said...

RayKay - The file is still out there. Mega changed its links to confuse everyone:

https://mega.nz/#!yZFjWRgK!PXuz0AF7S_8L7RTIFqog9nqMzK98HwX-YVSk3AFBpEo

Eden78 said...

Thank You !