My post of Margaret Whiting's first album was very popular, so I am preparing some follow-up posts of her unreissued singles. This is the first of three such entries - maybe more, if I can find my stash of her 78s. These 12 songs all are from 45s, most of them unplayed store stock.
From 1949, we have a coupling of two Josef Myrow-Mack Gordon songs - It Happens Every Spring, from the film of the same name, and Every Time I Meet You, from The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend. Two excellent songs, nicely done.
From the same year, we have two Irving Berlin songs from the Miss Liberty score - Let's Take an Old Fashioned Walk and Paris Wakes Up and Smiles.
Moving to 1950, Capitol issued an odd coupling of It's a Most Unusual Day, from the two-year-old movie A Date with Judy, with the St. Louis Blues. Later that year, Whiting recorded (We've Got a) Sure Thing from the Bing Crosby film Ridin' High, backed with the awful Solid as a Rock, a synthetic r&b number also recorded by Ella Fitzgerald and the Deep River Boys.
Also from 1950 is a terrific rendition of Come Rain or Come Shine, with a flip side of Dream Peddler's Serenade. The latter had music by Johnny Mercer and lyrics by one of the winners of Capitol's Songs without Words contest, John Rufus Sharpe III. For that contest, Capitol asked entrants to write the words for new music by Mercer, Jimmy McHugh, Livingston and Evans, Isham Jones, Ray Noble and Paul Weston. Sharpe's work was apparently heavily influenced by Kim Gannon's lyrics for A Dreamer's Holiday, which had been a hit the previous year.
Our final 45 is from 1951, and has the hymn-like Faithful by French composer Alex Alstone with words by Jimmy Kennedy, and Lonesome Gal, a worthwhile song by Walter Schumann and Jack Brooks.
Whiting is backed by Frank DeVol on all recordings except Come Rain or Come Shine, which has a Paul Weston arrangement. The sound is excellent.
Hope you enjoy these relatively rare items by one of the finest vocalists of the time.
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
1 month ago




22 comments:
Somewhere I have the LP that Capitol put out with the instrumental songs that you were supposed to write the lyrics to. I think it still has the card that you were supposed to submit. But this is the first I heard about someone winning the contest, or anyone actually recording the lyrics. Leave it to you to dig something like that up! :)
Ernie - Actually. I've never seen that record! Would make a great post . . .
What a treat! Many thanks, Buster, for posting these obscure sides by a marvellous artist. The forgotten movie songs are a special pleaure to hear.
Hi Buster,
Thanks for this wonderful music. It's such a pleasure to hear the great Margaret sings. And there's more coming. You spoil us.
Thanks again. RonH
What a fantastic trove of rare entries from not only Whitings career but the unreissued Capitol archives.
Yummy Ernie. Just plain yummy. Thanks for the treat and the thought of more to come.
Sinatra also recorded "It Happens Every Spring." Whiting's version is its equal. Indeed, this whole bouquet is first-rank. "Paris Wakes Up and Smiles" is completely new to me. Thanks. Almost every one of the records has, as far as I can see, never been issued on CD--and that includes Sepia's excellent collection of rarer Capitol stuff.
Buster...thanks for the nice comp of singles. I think I have one track of Margaret somewhere in one of those Time Life multi disc sets from the 70s. And orchestration by DeVol and Weston. Very nice. Thanks again!
Learning to appreciate Whiting more and more, and that's thanks your share of her first album...take that as a compliment mister!!!
Happy to explore more of her 'rare' stuff...
j.
Thanks for these great rare pieces.
It's always a pleasure when I visit your site.
Mikelj
Thanks, everyone, for your wonderful comments.
David - Of this group of songs, Sinatra also recorded (wonderfully) Sure Thing, Let's Take an Old Fashioned Walk, Faithful and of course Come Rain or Come Shine.
Hi Buster.
Funny coming across this post just after buying a 78 10" single of Whiting singing Ask Me and Joey. I don't know anything about when they were recorded or issued, but if you think you can use them I'd happily send you an unprocessed FLAC.
She is wonderful, isn't she?
Hi Larry,
I'd be very happy to have that one (and would make good use of it). Thanks so much!
Yes, she is wonderful.
Great! I'll get it done this weekend and email you the mediafire link. I thought "Joey" was odd and adorable.
One of my favorite female vocalists of the era. Wonderful hearing her swing "St. Louis Blues".
My absolute favorite maybe her greatest hit "It Might As Well Be Spring".
Thanks for these ! Margaret is one of my favorites.
forgot to thank you for this Buster. A great collection. I never knew "It Happens every Spring" was recorded by someone else but Sinatra. It's a favorite of mine!
Posts like this one are why music blogs are so wonderful. How else would one get this stuff? Thanks for the attention to taste and presentation here.
Rolf-Many thanks for your kind comments!
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!mN9X0aIY!OJ6_tHP80UQhf-AohD87vXTzjjf4u5OSYafoCrpNx3Q
thank you
Thank you, Buster.
Rich
Post a Comment