17 November 2010

Sargent's Second Dream

Malcolm Sargent conducted one of the most famous of all recordings of Elgar's oratorio The Dream of Gerontius. This isn't it. This, rather, is his second go at the piece, which didn't receive much praise upon its issue in 1955, or thereafter.

Honestly, it's really not that bad! Gerontius is sung by the estimable Richard Lewis, in his first recording of the role. He is among the strongest proponents of the role. John Cameron provides a notably well sung Priest and Angel of the Agony. Marjorie Cameron is not to the level of some other Angels, but is certainly a fine singer.

The reviews would have you believe that Sargent skates over the surface of the music, but I don't hear that, although I will admit that it does not have the passion of Barbirolli's account.

Sargent's first recording of the piece has received ecstatic reviews almost since it came out in 1945. Heddle Nash was considered an ideal interpreter of Gerontius, and the praise has continued to this day. My own view is that this second version, issued to mark Sargent's 60th birthday, is not markedly inferior.

If you haven't heard this piece, a few words of introduction. First, Elgar's music isn't reputed to travel well, and this may be one of his most unexportable works. The work concerns the death of an old man (Gerontius) and his passage into the afterlife. It is based on Elgar's edited version of John Cardinal Newman's very Roman Catholic poem. These days, this kind of poem (and music) could hardly be more out of style. It is, nonetheless, a magnificent work, with sublime music perfectly married to the text by an inspired composer. I find it quite moving.

This is transferred from a mint copy of the original issue.

REMASTERED VERSION (JUNE 2014)

8 comments:

Fred said...

Great Choice Buster. I have the earlier recording and yes, it is memorable. Looking forward to the comparison between the two.

Thanks! Fred

Lawrence Austin said...

Buster: I am looking forward to this. I'm one of those Malcolm Sargent fans who find it difficult to believe he did not do the score justice, even if I am an even bigger Barbirolli fan.

As for fashionable: Who cares? I was studying Anglo-Saxon in graduate school at a time when most of my peers grilled me incessantly about its "relevance," that, in its narrowest possible sense, being the buzzword of the time. EWell, everything human is relevant, and whatever is unfashionable may, in good time, become a fad again -- like skinny ties, Robert Browning, and, apparently, The Beatles.

I love the work, by the way, and, like you, find it quite moving.

Lawrence Austin said...

Oh! And thanks.

Buster said...

I think I should have mentioned that I like virtually every version of this work that I have heard, so maybe I am just a pushover for it.

I'm with you about fashion, Larry - as may be apparent by the music I espouse on this site.

Satyr said...

That's a very interesting post, dear Buster. I have not the complete version from 1945 on 78s, alas - but I have an Opal CD with Elgar himself conducting fragments from a live performance recorded in 1927 - so I'm curious to compare the versions :-) Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

Buster -
I will confess that I did not know of the "famous" 1945 one until now. I have this one on Angel but admire your beautiful british Columbia copy. (where DO you find them!?)
Squirrel

Buster said...

@ Squirrel - Actually I have the Angel issue myself. When I decided to transfer it, I looked for it and couldn't find it. Aggravated, I imported the English issue, which I've always wanted anyway.

Buster said...

Remastered version (Apple lossless):

https://mega.co.nz/#!LQ8FnDJJ!KQVPcxJFZfRCI1u78Mg9Glh3vA9ad7Q-BxUInZGoCPo