19 December 2009

On the Twelfth Day


I recently called The Twelve Days of Christmas "inescapable and seemingly endless," so here we have a 25-minute version of it!

This is the soundtrack of a short comic film from 1955 called On the Twelfth Day, which is built around the narrative of the song - that is, it shows what would happen should your true love send you all those partridges, dancing ladies, leaping lords, milking maids, etc.

The film was devised and directed by Wendy Toye and designed by artist Ronald Searle, whose unmistakable style is on display above. Producer George K. Arthur was so impressed with his own work on the project that he manages to have his full name printed on the packaging an amazing 16 times. (Oh wait, I just thought to look on the spine - make that 17.) Too bad there weren't more days of Christmas or he could have worked himself into the rotation.

Although the carol certainly makes its appearances, the soundtrack consists mostly of music to accompany the gifts arriving at the the beloved's house (not to mention bird calls, cow noises, etc.). And it is this music that I am interested in, because it is the work of the fine but little known English composer Doreen Carwithin. She produced both film scores and concert works, but stopped composing after she married the better known composer William Alwyn in 1961, resuming her work following his death in 1985. Carwithin passed away in 2003. There have been a few CDs of her concert works, but this is the only record of her film scores that I have seen.

As far as I can tell, the film On the Twelfth Day is not commercially available, nor is it on YouTube. This LP version has not been reissued.

The record also includes some standard carols in standard arrangements with the Canterbury Choir directed by composer-conductor Macklin Morrow. I believe this is a repackaging of sides that may date back to as early as 1947.

REMASTERED VERSION (JUNE 2014)

14 comments:

Webrarian said...

Thank you! I saw the film many, many years ago and I think C4 repeated it in their early days. A CD issue a couple of years back, and now this. Perhaps we'll get to see the film once again...

I particularly liked the spotted cow producing the spotted milk.

Ravel said...

After listening to it, I'd be quite curious to see the short film. When we think of some very dull (or stupid) short films we can see at Xmas time... it would be great to show something that seems like **or sounds like** having imagination.
Thanks for sharing. Never a dull moment with you.

Buster said...

I have a vague recollection of having seen the film many years ago, but it does seem elusive these days.

Ernie said...

I've never seen the movie, and I've only seen the record once. It was beat, but I bought it anyway just for that great cover. Thanks for allowing me to listen to it finally!

Ernie said...

Merry Christmas Buster! Hope you're having a great day!

EricSwede said...

This is on YouTube now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRijElQVlVk

Kwork said...

Ah, the link is down. At least it's up on YouTube now so we can hear it that way. Thanks for the post and for alerting the world to this piece of jolliness.

fmovie22 said...

Hi there, the link is down for this.
Would it be possible for you to reup this at some point?
Thank you for posting such rare recordings.

Buster said...

Sure, this is one of my favorite posts. A little out of season, though.

fmovie22 said...

No hurry. Thanks in advance.

Buster said...

Remastered version (Apple lossless):

https://mega.co.nz/#!SAUkQbjD!I9eDWQ9uA7NEXCguRgCkOSfZLyNDBzKoWKotCDdPdg0

Sorry, the back cover scan has gone missing!

fmovie22 said...

Thank you for re-upping this.
Have a good evening.

Bryan said...

Well Buster, I was going through my files and found I had downloaded this from you a few years ago, I forget when.
I remember than seeing a faded copy of it on YouTube, how bizarre it was.
I finally listened to it today, because I came across it again in my files.
What a lovely album it is. I have never heard,
" The Twelve Days of Christmas", song so nicely before. It was not rushed through. Besides, it sounds like it was done in a barnyard, how unique.
As always, The Canterbury Choir, are a nice addition to this package. Thanks for sharing this.

Buster said...

Hi Bryan - I'm glad you came across this old share and enjoyed it! I should repost it one of these days.