18 September 2009

Overtures with Albert Wolff

Albert Wolff was one of those conductors who made fine records, but has no great reputation these days. Of Dutch descent, he was born in Paris and spent much of his career there, conducting the Lamoureux, Pasdeloup and Opéra-Comique orchestras.

Wolff made this LP with the Opéra-Comique orchestra in June 1951. (Actually, even though it says "long playing" on the cover, I think this was what was called a medium-play record in the trade, per our friend Mel - longer than an EP, shorter than an LP.) Decca sent the classic team of John Culshaw and Kenneth Wilkinson to do the recording in the Maison de la Mutualité, and the results are very fine.

Two miscellaneous French overtures aren't usually the kind of thing that attracts me, but Wolff, the Opera-Comique players, and the Decca production team make this a treat.


9 comments:

GilinAZ said...

Buster...you might also enjoy Albert Wolff's version of 'The Merry Wives Of Windsor' Overture, by Otto Nicolai. Right after the slow intro, he takes the allegro at a much slower pace than normal. Not my cup of tea, but interesting, nevertheless. Also, see if you can locate an album called "Witches Brew". It contains some seldom-heard overtures, including Malcolm Arnold's "Tam O'Shanter". The only other version I know, of Saint-Saens "Le Princess Jaune" (The Yellow Princess) is with Charles Munch/Boston Symphony Orchestra, on RCA.

Gil

GilinAZ said...

Buster..."Witches Brew" wasn't conducted by Albert Wolff...I believe it was Raymond Agoult. (I just remembered :-) )

Gil

Anonymous said...

buster, do you have Wolff conducting offenbach??

Buster said...

@ Julitus,

I'll check, but it doesn't sound familiar. (Sorry.)

robert said...

There is a complete (I think) La Princess Jaune on Chandos under the house here!!

gpdlt2010 said...

Has Wolff's wonderful version of Glazunov's The Seasons ever be released on CD and improved sound?

Buster said...

I'm not sure, but I have heard that a complete edition of his recordings may be planned.

gpdlt2010 said...

Well, that's good news!
Thanks for the tip!

Buster said...

New link (Apple lossless):

https://mega.nz/file/mZd1EIgZ#gvPzH3nwGXCU9IVafBLWWAuv8qPVBU3W7Ga_HU-s55M