
I was amazed to read last week that the top spot on the British album charts was claimed by Dame Vera Lynn, who vaulted to number one over those comparative newcomers, the Beatles. The UK must be in the throes of one of its periodic spasms of nostalgia.
Well, I think it's a wonderful thing, because Dame Vera - still with us at 92 - was a fine singer who managed to be approachable while being artful. Somehow she used her extreme skill as a vocalist to draw us closer, and the catch in her voice was always endearing rather than annoying.
This 1949 LP provides a chance to hear her in some characteristic selections, with backing on most tracks by Robert Farnon, the great arranger (he is called Bob Farnon here). His work is beautifully suited to the vocals, and the greeting-card perfection of the cover could not be more apt, as well.
Now the bad news - I transferred two different pressings of this LP using two turntables and three cartridges and was not able to avoid a certain amount of peak distortion on Dame Vera's voice. It apparently was on the master. Still, I hope you enjoy this as much as Dame Vera must be enjoying her renewed celebrity.

20 comments:
On 3 September 2009, we in Europe and the British Commonwealth remembered 3 September 1939, the start of the Second World War.
Two pressings, two turntables and three cartridges! Sounds like you really wanted a good rip! :)
We aim to please.
Thank You, Buster not just for this one but ALL the hard work that you do to bring these wonderful recordings to us!
Love it ! Even with the distortion! :-)
i just wanted to stop and say thank you a million times over for making this blog and posting such amazing music. i owe a lot of my collection to you, and if i could give you a thousand high-fives, i would. THANK YOU!
Thank you so much for your note, Elliot.
Hi Buster!
Could you please re-up this album?
Thanks in advance!
gpdlt2000 - I actually transferred this one more time not long ago in an attempt to fix the sound problem. It still sounds distorted, but I can upload the results if I can find them.
Thanks,Buster!
My heartfelt thanks,Buster!
Thanks Buster - I will enjoy the sounds!
Thanks, Buster! I'm a sucker for these recordings! Am not a War baby, but almost!
La Danse de Puck - Me too!
Dear Buster!
Can you reupload this album?
Thank you very much!
New link (Apple lossless):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/9aarp46olsw19s8
In case you have missed it Vera will be 100 next March and there will be a new CD issue.
Thanks, Bob - May she live many more!
thank you, Buster. missed this first time around
Very nice. Thanks
Post a Comment