Twenty years before the Apollo astronauts actually landed there, George Pal was concocting a movie version of a trip to the moon - with the voyage financed by selfless capitalists. (It turned out that the selfless capitalism angle was more unrealistic than the actual exploration.)
I haven't seen the film, but the back of the LP says the idea was sold on a "whoever controls the moon controls the earth" pitch, and that the lead investor found this idea somehow moving. I'm not sure why he would get emotional over the moon exploration concept, but then I slept through the 1969 moon landing on my girlfriend's couch, so I'm no judge.
On to the music at hand, and it is a nice piece of work by Leith Stevens, who commanded a wide range of styles. This score bears little resemblance to The Wild One or The James Dean Story, which we've seen before in this space. I suppose it does have overtones of Holst and Ming the Merciless, and I know he cribbed one of the main motifs from somewhere I can't recall, but it is very enjoyable nonetheless and pretty well recorded for the time. And the cover is great!
'Clouds' and 'Lost in a Fog'
-
This is a companion piece to a post on the main blog in which I discuss Les
Brown's 1952 LP *Musical Weather Vane*, along with two other Brown albums.
Th...
1 month ago


23 comments:
@ Buster
Thank you very much for Destination Moon.
I saw the film before we got to the Moon in 1969 & it was amazing to watch at the time.
This is the original 10" soundtrack LP, from the motion picture. It's a much better version than the 12", conducted by Sandauer, on Omega Records. It's a shame this version wasn't as complete as that one...a better version of the complete score would have made a great LP.
Gil
All of your Leith Stevens postings have been great, but this one is the most beautiful. Thanks!
I have the 12-inch Omega version (possibly a re-issue version with a very UN-1950s rocket blasting off on the cover) and did not even know this existed. Great! Thanks.
If you notice, in the last part (Escape From The Moon & Finale), the trumpet player has a lip flub..which really ruins the performance. I don't know how Stevens got his effects for "In Order Space", and "On The Surface Of The Moon"...but, on the 12" LP, they only use the strings for this effect...and it doesn't sound as great!
Gil
Your blog is super!
congratulations!
I should have mentioned that it's the Omega disk where the trumpet player has the "flub".
I know it's on the LP, but not sure about the CD.
Gil
I've mentioned this posting on my Facebook page and people are quite impressed.I just put an old 10-inch MGM soundtrack cover on my BLOG here and hope to do more about classic film music that's been re-issued on CD.
Destination Moon is a wonderful score. Did any other of Leith Stevens' Sci Fi films have a score release on vinyl?
@ Scott,
I don't believe there were any contemporaneous releases on vinyl, but some have had later releases, both on LP and CD.
Have just been trawling through your great blog, and came to this. The movie was the 2001 of its day, based on Heinlein's screen play, a serious SF movie by a the preeminent SF writer of the time. Have to download it, for comparison, as 2001 was my most desired movie for a long time, first I bought on VHS. And more importantly,the soundtrack wasthe first audiocassette I bought, in Edgeware Rd in London on my first OE. It set my classical music taste and record collection in motion.
Thanks
@Fadingintoblue - Welcome! This soundtrack is nothing like 2001. I've never seen either film, but I own both soundtracks (which is typical of me).
A great score, I think, Buster. Thank you for the re-up...!!!
Thanks Buster. I've been curious about the film and had not known there was a soundtrack album for it. Many thanks!
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
https://mega.nz/#!iEsWXCAI!iYRPdhhxhVHKtKfZdyYXuTwy5Cz8u4RRVM3qnX2BTnU
Buster, I cam only thank you for this re-up with some "uppers" (and I mean uppers) of my own--three kids' albums about moon travel from the same time as the movie "Destination Moon." There are three:
1) The Bunin Puppets - Foodini's Trip to the Moon, Caravan Records G-22, 1949
2) Raymond Scott - Rocket Trip to the Moon, Children's Record Guild 437, 1950
3) Tom Reddy - Destination Moon, Capitol Records CAS-3080, 1950
They're up for a week at WeTransfer. Have a blast (off)! These are taken from huge compilations offered by KiddieRecords.com. Tip to Ernie, these compilations are mother lodes of Christmas stuff.
https://we.tl/t-vUQ5vtjXSb
Thanks, David! I actually posted that Raymond Scott item on the other blog a few years ago, but the others are new to me.
Any chance of re-posting these somewhere the link will stay active?
This is a superb soundtrack. Thanks so much Buster for bringing this to our attention and listening pleasure.
Richard - It's fun, isn't it?
Choice pick. Yes, fun. Thanks.
Woohoo!
I didn't expect to find both the Destination Moon and Marlon Branflakes soundtracks here. I feel like I've struck gold 2x!
Thanks, Buster!!
MD - I see you are catching up on some oldies.
Post a Comment