
Here is the beginning of yet another new thread on this blog (how many do I have going? 30?), this one devoted to the post World War II dance bands.
You don't hear too much about these bands today, except for some of the jazz bands, leftovers from the big band heyday, and Miller-derived ensembles like Ray Anthony and Tex Beneke.
This post presents Ralph Marterie, who made many records over quite a few years, won polls such as the one touted on this cover, and yet has fallen into something very much like obscurity.
Too bad. He had a good ensemble that played a variety of music quite well - from ballads to post-Hampton big band r&b.
Marterie's band started off as a recording orchestra, then after gaining some notice, he formed a touring ensemble. This is a pattern that was also followed by Ralph Flanagan, who also will make an appearance in this series.
All these sides were recorded in 1952, according to the very helpful Mercury Records site.
The truth is, I am starting off this series with Marterie because of the very cool cover - what could be better than a disembodied cartoon face and a Down Beat magazine? Outstanding!

8 comments:
I always liked Marterie - he was indeed everything you described here.
A couple of years after these tracks were recorded (we called them records or "sides" then), some of his recordings began to appear in the hit parades, and before fading into obscurity (a fate he did not deserve), he was very popular.
Thank you very much for digging this one out and sharing it with us.
I am very much looking forward to more in this series.
I hope you'll consider this one for re-upping, since it sounds like it would be some swell swing dance music that would be to my liking.
Thanks.
StealthMan - I'll reup this next time around. I also have posted LPs by Hal McIntyre, Harry James, Jerry Gray, Ziggy Elman and Les Brown, although I suspect at least some of the links are dead.
Heads up: the NEW LINK is for "Destination Moon". Love your selections!
Track 7, "Hall of the Mountain King", stays in the frequent playlist!
Thanksamillion!!!
Thank you for another Marterie .
Dear Buster!
Can you reupload this album?
Thank you very much!
Remastered version (Apple lossless):
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8b52goim73qp7yq
Post a Comment