31 May 2009

American Music for Strings


This is one of the many LPs of American music produced by Howard Hanson and Mercury when Dr. Hanson was the head of the Eastman School.

This program from circa 1955 presents three exceedingly beautiful pieces for string orchestra. The Thomas Canning work is an attempt to replicate Vaughan Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis using a hymn tune by the American Justin Morgan. Louis Mennini's Arioso is recommended to anyone who enjoys Barber's Adagio for Strings. And Arthur Foote's Suite is a romantic work reminiscent of Tchaikovsky.

The Canning and Foote works have had more modern recordings, but not the Mennini, to my knowledge. Canning and Mennini were colleagues of Hanson at Eastman. Mennini's brother, Peter Mennin, was also a well-known composer.

LINK to 2026 remaster

10 comments:

Moe said...

How wonderful to hear these little-known works. Thank you so much!

Fred said...

Once again great work...I really believe that your efforts on these little known American pieces are well worth the trouble. I hope to see more exploration of these important Mercury recordings from Rochester. Thanks!

Buster said...

FredT,

I do have many more of these recordings and I will feature some in weeks ahead. Thanks!

Scoredaddy said...

Thanks for this. Hanson's work should be more well-known.

RMC said...

Back for another shot! What a treasure-trove!

ColinAH said...

Please, please, Buster, can you re-up the three American classical LPs - Sowerby,Louis Alter and Roy Harris?

Buster said...

@ ColinAH - I can probably reup the Sowerby and Alter, assuming I can find them. You'll have to tell me which Harris you are interested in.

ColinAH said...

Oh, thank you, I am very grateful. The Harris is "Harris on M-G-M" which features his Fantasy for Piano & Orchestra. These records are so rare, and your posts are just wonderful.
Thank you, Buster!

ColinAH said...

Buster - have you forgotten me? I am hoping you were able to find those American classicals....

ColinAH said...

Looks like I'm out of luck with those classical LPs ..... great blog though!